Philip Seymour Hoffman posed for chilling portrait session at Sundance two weeks before death
- Photo: Victoria Will/Invision/AP1 of 10
- Photo: JM11/WENN2 of 10
- Photo: DDAA/ZOB/WENN3 of 10
- Photo: DM1/WENN4 of 10
- Photo: MATT BARON /BEImages/Rex USA5 of 10
- Photo: Rob Latour/Rex USA6 of 10
- Photo: Jim Spellman/WireImage7 of 10
- Photo: Carlo Allegri/Invision/AP8 of 10
- Photo: Everett Collection/Rex USA9 of 10
More Celeb News
- 'American Horror Story: Freak Show' Casts 'All My Children' Vet MSNEntertainment 7/24/2014 10:32:00 AM
- Aaron McGruder's 'Black Jesus' Somehow Draws Anger From Family GroupMSNEntertainment 7/24/2014 10:10:00 AM
- Exclusive: General Hospital Supercouple Nancy Lee Grahn, William deVry Answer Fan QuestionsMSNEntertainment 7/24/2014 8:59:00 AM
- Ratings: 'Extant' Drifts Down From Second EpisodeMSNEntertainment 7/24/2014 8:56:00 AM
- Kelsey Grammer is a dad againMSNEntertainment 7/24/2014 7:50:19 AM
- 'American Horror Story: Freak Show' Casts 'All My Children' Vet
Philip Seymour Hoffman sat down for this chilling portrait session at the Sundance Film Festival in Park City, Utah, exactly two weeks before his Sunday, Feb. 2 death from an apparent drug overdose at the age of 46. An eyewitness who encountered Hoffman before the image was taken tells Us Weekly the actor "didn't look well" while promoting his new spy movie, "A Most Wanted Man."
The devastating tintype, wet collodion-style image, which was taken by Associated Press photographer Victoria Will on Jan. 19, shows a more somber side of Hoffman -- looking haunted and slightly agitated. "I remember looking at him and thinking he didn't look well," the source adds to Us. "He didn't look like someone who took care of himself."
The eyewitness says right before Hoffman sat down for the portrait session, the Oscar winner had gotten into an altercation on the red carpet. "He had gotten in an argument with a paparazzo outside," the insider recalls. "It got ugly."
Another eyewitness, who was at the premiere of A Most Wanted Man at the Eccles Theatre, also notes the actor's disheveled state that day: "He came very dressed down, not put together, but I remember seeing him smiling."
Hoffman spoke to very few outlets during his stay at Sundance, but told PopStopTV of his character in "A Most Wanted Man:" "I connected a lot with him. I think it's hard for anyone not to connect with the loneliness. He's a pretty lonely, driven, obsessive guy who's unforgiving of himself in a lot of ways. [He has] a lot of traits a lot of people carry."
As previously reported, Hoffman entered rehab for a 10-day stint back in May 2013. The actor, who credited "a great group of friends and family" for encouraging him to seek treatment, had been sober for more than 23 years when he had relapsed.
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
Chrissy Teigen, Katy Perry and Lady Gaga spotlight their pooches on today's Celeb Gone Social.Watch Video »
Kim Kardashian flaunts her bikini bod in two bizarre Instagram video clips on location in Thailand on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Best B-Day Ever?
Selena Gomez celebrates her birthday early with a helicopter ride in Italy with new pal Cara Delevingne on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Where Are They?
Find out where the cast from "When Harry Met Sally" is today.Watch Video »
Let's check out some of Eva's tactics behind her baby bump secret on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Nick Cannon shows off a new cheetah print hairstyle on today's Celebs Gone Social hosted by Wonderwall editor Chris Gardner.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTWeek In Photos
From Crowd Ignite