Meryl Streep, 62, Stuns With First-Ever Vogue Cover
- Photo: Annie Leibovitz/Vogue1 of 21
- Photo: Annie Leibovitz/Wonderwall2 of 21
- Photo: Lester Cohen/WireImage.com3 of 21
- Photo: JMAB/VMAB/http://www.wenn.com/4 of 21
- Photo: REED SAXON/Invision/AP5 of 21
- Photo: WENN6 of 21
- Photo: DOUG SHERIDAN/Invision/AP7 of 21
- Photo: Jamie McCarthy/WireImage.com8 of 21
- Photo: Matt Sayles/Invision/AP9 of 21
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage.com10 of 21
- Photo: Vince Bucci/Invision/AP11 of 21
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage.com12 of 21
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage.com13 of 21
- Photo: Jim Spellman/WireImage.com14 of 21
- Photo: Chris Pizzello/Invision/AP15 of 21
- Photo: Invision/AP16 of 21
- Photo: Universal Pictures/Promotional17 of 21
- Photo: Sony Pictures18 of 21
- Photo: 20th Century Fox/Promotional19 of 21
- Photo: DR2/WENN20 of 21
More Celeb News
- Suits Midseason Finale: Where Does Louis Go From Here?MSNEntertainment 8/19/2014 5:00:00 PM
- Ray J Arraigned for Sexual Battery, Vandalism and Resisting ArrestMSNEntertainment 8/19/2014 4:59:00 PM
- Mark Wahlberg in Talks to Star in J.C. Chandor's 'Deepwater Horizon'MSNEntertainment 8/19/2014 4:49:00 PM
- 'The Gunfighter' Director Eric Kissack on How He Cast Nick Offerman: TheWrap&aMSNEntertainment 8/19/2014 4:06:00 PM
- Benedict Cumberbatch Joins WB's 'Jungle Book' as Voice of Shere KhanMSNEntertainment 8/19/2014 3:32:00 PM
- Suits Midseason Finale: Where Does Louis Go From Here?
With two Oscars (and 16 nominations), seven Golden Globes (25 nominations), two Emmys and way, way more accolades, there's seemingly not much that Meryl Streep hasn't accomplished.
And yet perhaps the most acclaimed and celebrated actress of the modern era had one major milestone to reach: gracing the cover of Vogue!
And now, finally, at age 62, Streep gets the honor for the January 2012 issue of the ultimate fashion bible.
"I was joking with the ladies earlier," Streep, promoting her predictably acclaimed turn as Margaret Thatcher in "The Iron Lady," tells the magazine. "And I told them I was probably the oldest person ever to be on the cover of Vogue."
Indeed, Streep (who played a thinly veiled version of Vogue editrix Anna Wintour in "The Devil Wears Prada") knows she defied the odds and outdated limitations for women in Hollywood, with her roles getting even better as she enters senior citizen-dom.
She admits that, in 1989, when she turned 40, "I remember turning to my husband [sculptor Don Gummer] and saying, 'Well, what should we do? Because it's over.'"
And, soon after reaching the big 4-0, Streep reveals that she received three offers to play witches in films. "Once women passed childbearing age they could only be seen as grotesque on some level," she surmises, and then portrayed older, or terminally ill, women in films like "One True Thing" -- "women whose usefulness had passed."
But richer roles followed, like the recent middle-aged, post-divorce sex comedy "It's Complicated." "In the period of 'Silkwood' , ["It's Complicated"] could never have been made, with a 60-year-old actress deciding between her ex-husband and another man. With a 40-year-old actress it would never have been made!" she says.
She was thrilled to play British prime minister Thatcher, despite her significant political differences with the leader. "With any character I play, where she is me is where I meet her. It's very easy to set people at arm’s length and judge them," she explains. "Yes, you can judge the policies and the actions and the shortcomings -- but to live inside that body is another thing entirely. And it's humbling on a certain level and infuriating, just like it is to live in your own body. Because you recognize your own failings, and I have no doubt that she recognized hers."
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
Check out Jessica Alba's baseball skills on today's Celebs Gone Social, hosted by Wonderwall Editor Jessica Wedemeyer.Watch Video »
Check out some of the most memorable Emmy fashion from over the years.Watch Video »
Hot and Cold
Watch Hilary Duff and more stars take the ice bucket challenge on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Check out the stars that spent the most on their weddings.Watch Video »
From Kim Kardashian to Jessica Biel, see what your favorite celebs look like sans makeup.Watch Video »
Check out the stunning photos Alessandra Ambrosio shared of her Hawaiian vacation with her daughter on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTSassy Single
From Crowd Ignite