Freida Pinto goes unrecognized in Indian slums
- Photo: James Higgins/Splash News1 of 7
- Photo: George Pimentel/WireImage.com2 of 7
- Photo: Johns PkI/Splash News3 of 7
- Photo: Chris Pizzello/Invision/AP4 of 7
- Photo: Adriana M. Barraza/Invision/AP5 of 7
- Photo: Gus Ruelas/Invision/AP6 of 7
More Celeb News
- 'Raising Hope' Canceled by Fox After 4 SeasonsMSNEntertainment 3/10/2014 12:05:00 PM
- Fox News Anchor Alisyn Camerota OutMSNEntertainment 3/10/2014 11:58:00 AM
- Edward Snowden to SXSW: Government Spying is 'Setting Fire to the Future of the Internet&amMSNEntertainment 3/10/2014 10:47:00 AM
- Sara Bareilles and VH1 Save the Music Foundation Launch Piano Grant Program for Public SchoolsMSNEntertainment 3/10/2014 9:00:00 AM
- Cartoon Network Slate: Legos, Elijah Wood and BearsMSNEntertainment 3/10/2014 8:54:00 AM
- 'Raising Hope' Canceled by Fox After 4 Seasons
Actress Freida Pinto was left stunned on a recent charity visit to Mumbai's slums because nobody recognized her.
The star was thrust into the spotlight following the success of 2008's "Slumdog Millionaire" and she's since used her fame to raise awareness of the poor living conditions of many in the Indian city, where she hails from.
She embarked on a trip to the rundown areas with a nongovernmental organization recently, but none of the residents recognized her from the movie, surrounding her boyfriend and co-star Dev Patel instead.
RELATED: See more pics of Freida Pinto
Pinto tells Britain's Sunday Times Magazine, "People in the city recognize me as the girl from 'Slumdog Millionaire,' and inevitably they stare. But when I visited the slums with an NGO, nobody recognized me at all. I didn't mind. As for Dev, they hounded him, calling him 'crorepati,' which means millionaire."
From Crowd Ignite