Reese and Jake: What Went Wrong?Related: Hot Gossip, Jake Gyllenhaal, Reese Witherspoon
- Photo: Gus Ruelas/AP1 of 9
- Photo: KCSPresse/Splash News2 of 9
- Photo: London Entertainment/Splash/Splash News3 of 9
- Photo: Gene Young/Splash News4 of 9
- Photo: Splash News5 of 9
- Photo: X176 of 9
- Photo: Walter McBride/Retna Ltd.7 of 9
- Photo: London Entertainment/Splash News8 of 9
More Celeb News
- What is Jewish Humor? Justin Timberlake 'Smells a Trap' for Coen Brothers in CanneMSNEntertainment 5/19/2013 5:13:00 AM
- Cannes Review: Coen Brothers' 'Inside Llewyn Davis' Is a Breathtaking OdeMSNEntertainment 5/18/2013 6:30:49 PM
- Deals: Weinstein's RADiUS Buys 'Blue Ruin' After Cannes Premiere MSNEntertainment 5/18/2013 4:58:13 PM
- 'Star Trek Into Darkness' On $80M Pace After $21M Friday at Box Office MSNEntertainment 5/18/2013 8:51:00 AM
- 'Fast & Furious 6' Opening Day Universal's Best-Ever in U.K.MSNEntertainment 5/18/2013 8:26:21 AM
- What is Jewish Humor? Justin Timberlake 'Smells a Trap' for Coen Brothers in Canne
Stop us if you've heard this one before: Reese Witherspoon and Jake Gyllenhaal are dunzo. For the second time in as many weeks, the adorable, drama-free pair of two-plus years is said to be over. And unlike before, when their reps loudly insisted they were still together, both camps are mum on the latest breakup reports.
So, what went wrong? Depends whom you ask.
"Split! Why Reese Left Him," screams the cover of the current Us Weekly. "Jake's heart breaks as Reese says she won't marry him. Inside her painful decision."
Seems the deal-breaker was the Oscar-winning mom of two's frigid tootsies over the prospect of becoming Mrs. Gyllenhaal.
"She felt pressured to wed again -- but she wasn't ready," a snitch tells the mag. "She couldn't give Jake enough, and she got cold feet ... From the beginning, Jake wanted all of her, and she knew he deserved someone who could give him that. He wanted to be together at all times, and it became a lot for her to juggle with work and the kids. When it comes down to it, she isn't ready to get married and he is."
Also at issue: Reese's apparent concern that "she wasn't giving her kids enough" of her time because of the relationship.
"He still loves her," reveals another source. "He's not happy they broke up."
RELATED: Follow Wonderwall on Twitter
That theory is seconded by PopEater, which claimed last week that the actor had slipped an engagement ring under Witherspoon's Christmas tree.
Now, they're both rumored to be "devastated" over the parting of ways.
"The relationship was at the point where they either got engaged or broke up," alleges one of Gyllenhaal's pals. "There is no doubt that they love each other very much, but Reese wasn't ready to say 'I do.' And if she wasn't ready after two years of dating, Jake wondered if she ever would be."
But still another insider believes the romance simply ran its course.
"There are no other people involved," the mole tells E! News. "The relationship just ended. It just fizzled. But they also wanted to be careful and private about it because of Reese's kids [Ava, 10, and Deacon, 6]."
The spy also denies that Gyllenhaal, who turns 29 on Saturday, was planning a holiday question-popping.
As for the bust-up timeline, E! says the two did indeed decide to call it quits late last month, as People magazine initially reported, but they "needed time to figure it out" and waited until they could talk things over in person before officially pulling the plug.
"He's fabulous," the typically tight-lipped Reese, 33, enthused of Jake in the April issue of Elle. "He really is a fantastic guy."
The couple met in 2006 while filming the drama "Rendition," and by the spring of 2007, they were an item. But it wasn't all smooth sailing: Witherspoon, still dealing with her painful divorce from Ryan Phillippe, is said to have temporarily broken things off that summer in order to focus on her family.
This fall, she sounded philosophical when discussing how she was able to move forward after the split.
"You just have to keep going. You have to keep it together for your kids and for yourself, too," the actress explained to In Style. "I'm trying to learn from the things that have happened in my life, live more in the moment and have more fun."
Read more Hot Gossip
- What's Sexy?Heidi Klum hangs with two comedy legends and shares what she finds most sexy in a man on today's Celebs Gone Social ...Watch Video »
- Sexy SecretsVictoria's Secret model Adriana Lima talks about the What's Sexy list, her model friends and more with Wonderwall.Watch Video »
- American TravelsGet the Prince's travel details on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
- Birthday GirlTori Spelling turns 40, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- Fashion OffendersFlorence Welch, Zoe Saldana, and Ali Larter all get an F on this week's Fashion OffendersWatch Video »
- Bikini BurnsFrom Kim Kardashian to Jessica Alba, see the worst celeb sunburns.Watch Video »
- Double TroubleFrom the Olsens to the Mowrys, see some of Hollywood's most famous twins.Watch Video »
- Roasted?Lindsay Lohan refuses to be roasted, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- Beach WorkoutsFrom Julianne Hough to Alessandra Ambrosio, see celebs who get their fitness on in the sand.Watch Video »
- Miley's MusicMiley Cyrus mixes music and fashion while ignoring her relationship status, on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
- Royal AdviceSnooki gives Prince Harry some advice, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- Country CutiesCheck out the hottest couples in country music.Watch Video »
- Queen's FeastBeyonce had a major feast in Dublin, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- Bump DebutSelena Gomez breaks some pregnancy news on Twitter on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
- Crazy QuotesCheck out some of Gwyneth Paltrow's craziest quotes.Watch Video »
- Beers With BieberJustin Bieber shares photos of his beer-drinking safari on social media on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
- Missing Miley?Get the scoop on the newest breakup rumors on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
- Visiting U.S.Prince Harry is visiting the United States again, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- Fashion OffendersMiranda Kerr, Katy Perry, and Bjork all get an F on this week's Fashion OffendersWatch Video »
- Wants PrivacySelena Gomez doesn't like everyone knowing about her relationship with Justin Bieber, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders.Watch Video »
- Baby FaceCheck out the first pic of Malin Akerman's son -- a closeup of his adorable face -- on today's Celebs Gone Social ...Watch Video »
From Videos of Wonderwall
From MSN Entertainment
From Crowd Ignite