Reese Witherspoon speaks out about her arrest: 'I said all kinds of crazy things'
- Photo: Brian To/WENN1 of 7
- Photo: Jamie McCarthy/WireImage2 of 7
- Photo: Rex USA3 of 7
- Photo: JWNY/GSI4 of 7
- Photo: Patriot Pics/Fame Flynet5 of 7
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/VF11/WireImage6 of 7
More Celeb News
- Exclusive Enlisted Sneak Peek: The Hill Brothers Get Duped by Sneaky Army VetsMSNEntertainment 3/12/2014 1:02:00 PM
- Richard Linklater to Receive Founder's Directing Award from San Francisco Film FestivalMSNEntertainment 3/12/2014 1:00:00 PM
- George Zimmerman's Parents Sue Roseanne Barr, Say She Sent 'Lynch Mob' AfMSNEntertainment 3/12/2014 12:53:00 PM
- 'Bates Motel' Star Olivia Cooke in Talks for Lead in 'Me & Earl &MSNEntertainment 3/12/2014 12:30:00 PM
- 11 Best and Worst Moments From 'The Voice' Final Blind AuditionsMSNEntertainment 3/12/2014 12:21:00 PM
- Exclusive Enlisted Sneak Peek: The Hill Brothers Get Duped by Sneaky Army Vets
Reese Witherspoon is ready to face the music. The Oscar-winning actress is finally speaking out about her shocking April 19 arrest for disorderly conduct in Atlanta -- in which the star, 37, threw a fit at a police officer who pulled over her husband, Jim Toth, for suspected DUI. Although she quickly released a written statement after news broke of the bust, the "Mud" actress has otherwise remained mum on the mortifying incident.
Addressing the scuffle in a TV interview on "Good Morning America" on Thursday, Witherspoon reveals that the encounter -- in which she told the cop, "Do you know my name?" -- was even more outrageous than fans know. (Watch the video here.)
"I saw [the cop] arresting my husband and I literally panicked," Witherspoon explained. "I told him I was pregnant. I'm not pregnant. I said all kinds of crazy things," revealed the star, who gave birth to their son, Tennessee, last September.
Walking back through the fateful night, Witherspoon said, "We went out to dinner in Atlanta, and we had one too many glasses of wine." The star was in Atlanta with her CAA agent hubby, 42, as she shot the film "The Good Lie." "We thought we were fine to drive, and we absolutely were not. ... We know better, and we shouldn't have done that."
The so-called America's sweetheart famously sassed the police officer who pulled them over and asked Toth to perform a sobriety test.
"I was so disrespectful to him," Witherspoon admitted. "I have police officers in my family. I work with police officers every day. I know better. It's just unacceptable."
The star added that she spoke with Atlanta authorities again earlier this week. "Yesterday I spoke to them and again just said, 'There is no reason to be disrespectful to a police officer.' Again, I just panicked."
The worst part? Explaining the arrest to her older kids with ex Ryan Phillippe: Ava, 13, and Deacon, 8. "We have to say when you make a mistake, you take responsibility, and we are taking responsibility and doing everything in our power to make it right."
Joked the "Legally Blonde" superstar: "I played a lawyer in a movie so many times I think I am a lawyer. ... And clearly I'm not a lawyer because I got arrested."
RELATED ON WONDERWALL:
What's the story behind Reese's downward-gazing mug shot?
From Brad Pitt to Ian Somerhalder, see some of Hollywood's sexiest vampires.Watch Video »
Where are they?
See where the cast of "Cruel Intentions" is today.Watch Video »
From Kim Kardashian to Paris Hilton, see which stars have the most expensive engagement bling.Watch Video »
Rihanna, Katy Perry, and Heidi Klum all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Find out what Oscar winners Jared Leto and Lupita Nyong’o have been up to since the Academy Awards on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Check out Sandra Bullock's fabulous and colorful style.Watch Video »
From Crowd Ignite