Refaeli thankful for brief split from DiCaprio
- Photo: KCSPresse/Splash News1 of 10
- Photo: Joel Ryan/Invision/AP2 of 10
- Photo: London Ent/Splash News3 of 10
- Photo: Jordan Strauss/GettyImages.com4 of 10
- Photo: KCSPresse/Splash News5 of 10
- Photo: Owen Beiny/WENN6 of 10
- Photo: Janet Mayer/Splash News7 of 10
- Photo: Owen Beiny/WENN8 of 10
- Photo: Evan Agostini/Invision/AP9 of 10
More Celeb News
- 'Scandal' Adds 'Major Crimes' Actor Jon Tenney in Possibly RomanMSNEntertainment 12/6/2013 12:48:04 PM
- 'Ouija' Conjures Leads: 'Bates Motel' Star Olivia Cooke &apoMSNEntertainment 12/6/2013 12:44:35 PM
- 'Prisoners' Director Denis Villeneuve Eyed for Female-Driven Crime Drama &aposMSNEntertainment 12/6/2013 11:49:18 AM
- 'Twice Born' Review: Penélope Cruz and Emile Hirsch as Twits Under Fire in SarajevMSNEntertainment 12/6/2013 11:31:43 AM
- Rick Santorum Compares Obamacare to Apartheid, on Night of Mandela's Death (Video)MSNEntertainment 12/6/2013 10:49:38 AM
- 'Scandal' Adds 'Major Crimes' Actor Jon Tenney in Possibly Roman
Israeli supermodel Bar Refaeli credits her six month split from on/off boyfriend Leonardo DiCaprio last year with saving their romance. She says their time apart forced her to "grow up" and learn about herself.
Refaeli has been romantically involved with DiCaprio since 2005 but they parted briefly last summer before reuniting again by the end of the year.
The model admits she was devastated by the relationship breakdown and went through a "tough time" dealing with her emotions, but says the time apart proved to be key to their chemistry when they eventually got back together.
"It was half a year for which I am very grateful. I needed it. I came to understand a lot of things about myself," the 24-year-old tells Israel's L'Isha magazine.
"I worked on myself (and) I grew up. I didn't know what alone was like. Today I know that a relationship can work only if you know you can be alone and you are not afraid. Today I'm not afraid of being alone."
RELATED: See more pics of Bar Refaeli
While their romance is still going strong, the couple recently dismissed engagement rumors.
"I'm not thinking about getting married," Refaeli said. "I'm still young, not yet 25."
RELATED VIDEO: Refaeli opens up about DiCaprio split
But she's still supportive of everything the "Titanic" hunk does -- even though she rarely walks the red carpet at high profile events with him: "I am there for him and I am at all the events. I just don't walk in hand-in-hand with him. I don't see any reason. I don't need to strike poses with him in front of the cameras."
RELATED: More Leonardo DiCaprio pics
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTCheap Jewelry
From Videos of Wonderwall
From Crowd Ignite