Richard Burton Details Elizabeth Taylor Romance in Diaries
- Photo: Rex USA1 of 6
- Photo: Express/Hulton Archive/GettyImages.com2 of 6
- Photo: Invision/AP3 of 6
- Photo: Invision/AP4 of 6
- Photo: BEImages/Rex USA5 of 6
More Celeb News
- Watch This Tonight: The Real Housewives of New York CityMSNEntertainment 7/29/2014 7:07:00 AM
- Javier Bardem, Penelope Cruz, Pedro Almodovar Condemn Israel for Gaza AttacksMSNEntertainment 7/29/2014 7:04:00 AM
- Ethan Hawke, Kevin Smith, Jean-Luc Godard Among New Crop of Directors Sending Films to TorontoMSNEntertainment 7/29/2014 6:58:00 AM
- Die Hard Star James Shigeta Dies at 81MSNEntertainment 7/29/2014 6:49:00 AM
- Earnings: New York Times Co. Profit Down 21% in Q2MSNEntertainment 7/29/2014 6:43:00 AM
- Watch This Tonight: The Real Housewives of New York City
Richard Burton's innermost feelings for Elizabeth Taylor have been laid bare in newly released extracts from his diaries, which are set to be published later this year.
RELATED: Elizabeth Taylor's Odd Friendship
The Hollywood legend wrote about the ups and downs of his relationship with Taylor, whom he wed twice, and now fans will be given a glimpse into the content of the books.
In 1968, during his first marriage to the "Cleopatra" icon, he wrote, "I have been inordinately lucky all my life but the greatest luck of all has been Elizabeth. She has turned me into a model man but not a prig, she is a wildly exciting lover-mistress, she is shy and witty, she is nobody's fool. She is a brilliant actress, she is beautiful beyond the dreams of pornography, she can be arrogant and wilful, she is clement and loving. She is Sunday's child, she can tolerate my impossibilities and my drunkenness, she is an ache in the stomach when I am away from her and she loves me."
He continued, "She is the prospectus that can never be entirely catalogued, an almanac for poor Richard. And I shall love her forever."
Burton, a heavy drinker, also wrote about the issues the couple faced, and he detailed a particularly shameful episode involving his wife.
In August 1969, he noted, "Yesterday was another terrible day. I behaved in a way to make a banshee look kind, good and sweet. Insulting Elizabeth, drunk, periodically excusing myself rather shabbily and then starting the rough treatment all over again.
"Sometimes I am so much my father's son that I give myself occasional creeps. He had the same gift for damaging with the tongue, he had the same temporary violence, he had the same fidelity to Mam that I have to Elizabeth."
"The Richard Burton Diaries" are due to be published in October.
RELATED: Shortest Celeb Marriages
Find out which stars attended Jennifer Lopez's birthday celebration on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Where Are They?
Where'd He Go?
Find out what happened to the stars of 'Garden State' after they made the hit indie film.Watch Video »
Selena Gomez, Zoe Saldana, and Maggie Gyllenhaal all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Check out some of January Jones' most retro wardrobe choices from over the years.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTTerrible Trends
From Crowd Ignite