Rielle Hunter on John Edwards Affair: We Never Used Birth Control
The ex mistress to former Senator John Edwards, Rielle Hunter, appeared on "The Oprah Winfrey Show" to offer her side of the story and talk about why she doesn't believe she ruined Edwards' marriage.
When asked if she thought she broke up a marriage and a family, Hunter responds, "absolutely not." She adds, "I don't believe I wrecked his home. ... A lot of people bought into the myth of the marriage, the Edwards marriage."
"My intention is to never to hurt anyone. ... I think Elizabeth [Edwards] has been hurt by the whole process," Hunter says, adding that Oprah would have to ask Elizabeth if Hunter personally hurt her.
Hunter recalls how Edwards reacted to hearing the news that she was pregnant. "He was very gracious," she tells Oprah. "He said, 'Whatever you decide to do, I fully support you.' ... He had a lot of issues with the timing." Hunter admits that at no time in their relationship were they using birth control.
While Edwards was running for president, he denied being the father of Hunter's child, claiming that his aide Andrew Young was in fact the biological parent. Hunter says this was Young's idea, though he says the scheme came from Edwards. Hunter tells Oprah that going along with the lie was "my biggest regret. That was a bridge too far for me."
Hunter gave birth to Frances Quinn on February 27, 2008. She says that Edwards met his daughter in mid March and she recalls the meeting as "filled with love." She says she was "devastated" when Edwards sat down with Bob Woodruff of "Dateline" in August, 2008 and denied being the father of their child.
When Oprah asks Hunter why she thinks Edwards doesn't lie to her like he lied to the American people, she responds, "I know him like the back of my hand. I know what's on his mind."
Hunter reacts to the sex tape that the Youngs claim she left at their home and that she says was taken from her. She also says she believed she had destroyed the tape. Oprah inquires as to why there was a sex tape in the first place and Hunter says, "I don't think there was a lot of thought into it in the heat of the moment."
In addition to going along with the lie that Young was her daughter's father, Hunter says she also regrets her sexy photo shoot with GQ magazine, calling the decision an "ego move." She tells Oprah that she will never repeat that mistake and says she agreed to the photos because she wanted one "sexy shot" of her out there amidst all the paparazzi photos of her looking unattractive.
Despite everything, Hunter says she still trusts Edwards very much. "It's my experience that he loves me." Hunter says both her and Edwards have become better people.
Related stories: John Edwards' Former Aide Fires Back at Rielle HunterOprah Nabs Rielle Hunter Exclusive
Kim Kardashian says her pregnancy lips are out of control, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders.Watch Video »
Check out Hollywood's hottest bikini bods on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
Robert Pattinson has moved out of the house he shared with Kristen Stewart, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders.Watch Video »
Better with age
See which stars just get better with age.Watch Video »
Check out some of Rihanna's worst wardrobe choices on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
Find out who went after Kendall Jenner on social media on today's Celebs Gone Social ...Watch Video »
- Magic LoveThe stars of "Now You See Me" chat learning magic tricks and experiencing the real deal.Watch Video »
- Workout ObsessedGwyneth Paltrow works out for two hours a day, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- Twitter AttackFind out who went after Kendall Jenner on social media on today's Celebs Gone Social ...Watch Video »
- 'Fast' TalkWatch as the cast of "Fast & furious 6" talk about getting injuries while filming, getting jacked and a whole lot more.Watch Video »
- Feeling SwollenKim Kardashian says her pregnancy lips are out of control, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders.Watch Video »
- Party AnimalsCheck out some of Hollywood's biggest party animals.Watch Video »
- Carrie's ChangesSee how this country cutie has changed her looks over the years.Watch Video »
- Moving OutRobert Pattinson has moved out of the house he shared with Kristen Stewart, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders.Watch Video »
- Who Am I?Check out how Vin Diesel, Paul Walker and more stars of "Fast & Furious 6" looked when they were in high school.Watch Video »
- LovebirdsFind out what Jessica Alba and Cash Warren tweeted to each other on their fifth wedding anniversary on today's Celebs Gone Social ...Watch Video »
- Worst LooksCheck out some of Rihanna's worst wardrobe choices on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- What's Sexy?Heidi Klum hangs with two comedy legends and shares what she finds most sexy in a man on today's Celebs Gone Social ...Watch Video »
- Sexy SecretsVictoria's Secret model Adriana Lima talks about the What's Sexy list, her model friends and more with Wonderwall.Watch Video »
- American TravelsGet the Prince's travel details on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
- Birthday GirlTori Spelling turns 40, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- Fashion OffendersFlorence Welch, Zoe Saldana, and Ali Larter all get an F on this week's Fashion OffendersWatch Video »
- Bikini BurnsFrom Kim Kardashian to Jessica Alba, see the worst celeb sunburns.Watch Video »
- Double TroubleFrom the Olsens to the Mowrys, see some of Hollywood's most famous twins.Watch Video »
- Roasted?Lindsay Lohan refuses to be roasted, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- Beach WorkoutsFrom Julianne Hough to Alessandra Ambrosio, see celebs who get their fitness on in the sand.Watch Video »
- Miley's MusicMiley Cyrus mixes music and fashion while ignoring her relationship status, on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
From Videos of Wonderwall
From MSN Entertainment
From Crowd Ignite