Rihanna's 'Battleship' Trainer: She's a Rad Chick
- Photo: © Russ Elliot / AdMedia/Retna Ltd.1 of 11
- Photo: Koki Nagahama/GettyImages.com2 of 11
- Photo: Joel Ryan/Invision/AP3 of 11
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage4 of 11
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage5 of 11
- Photo: Evan Agostini/Invision/AP6 of 11
- Photo: http://www.facebook.com/rihanna/.7 of 11
- Photo: http://www.facebook.com/rihanna/.8 of 11
- Photo: http://www.facebook.com/rihanna/.9 of 11
- Photo: http://www.facebook.com/rihanna/.10 of 11
More Celeb News
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90MSNEntertainment 3/9/2014 1:40:07 PM
- Zac Efron Shops Dildos in 'Neighbors,' Proving Once Again He's Far More TMSNEntertainment 3/9/2014 11:43:00 AM
- '300: Rise of an Empire' Storms Overseas Box Office With $88 MillionMSNEntertainment 3/9/2014 11:41:00 AM
- AP Top Premium Entertainment Headlines At 2:47 p.m. EDTMSNEntertainment 3/9/2014 11:40:29 AM
- Marvel expands Infinite with 'Ultimate Spider-Man'MSNEntertainment 3/9/2014 11:33:56 AM
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90
By Lisa Ingrassia
For her feature film debut, Rihanna chose a role that was not too hard for her to identity with: a tough chick with an attitude. But in order to accurately portray Petty Officer 2nd Class Cora Raikes in "Battleship," director Peter Berg brought in a real-life version of her character, Jacqueline Carrizosa, a former 2nd class gunner's mate working on the USS Ronald Reagan.
"She's a pretty rad chick," Carrizosa tells Wonderwall of her experience working with the superstar prior to filming. "She's aggressive, and she says how she feels."
Tasked with teaching Rihanna how to operate machine guns like the ones used on the USS Missouri, where parts of the movie were filmed, Carrizosa spent several days educating the star. "We went over postures and how she should carry herself, and what mindset she should have," Carrizosa says. "She can be sarcastic and badass, but you still have to maintain professionalism -- and that makes you even more badass, because you're within the rules."
RELATED: Rihanna's Bikini Style
When she saw the film, Carrizosa knew Rihanna had been a good student. "I watched everything about her -- the way her legs moved," she says. "She did an awesome job."
One thing that took a while for RiRi to pick up? Playing soccer -- a skill she needed to hone for a scene in the beginning of the film. "When she tried to kick the ball for the first time during soccer, she missed it. That was probably one of the funniest things. I've never seen that before," Carrizosa quipped. "But she got it down."
Get out the vote
Where are they?
See where the cast of "Cruel Intentions" is today.Watch Video »
Sarah Michelle Gellar talks to Wonderwall's Chris Gardner about "terrifying" paparazzi, growing veggies with her daughter, why she never went to rehab.Watch Video »
From Mila Kunis to Mary-Kate Olsen, get the scoop on all the engagements in Hollywood on Replay.Watch Video »
The Rock flexes massive muscle while getting sentimental on Celebs Gone Social hosted by Wonderwall editor Chris Gardner.Watch Video »
Rihanna, Katy Perry, and Heidi Klum all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Kendall and Kylie take Wonderwall behind the scenes at a photo shoot and chat family, embarrassing style moments and more!Watch Video »
From Crowd Ignite