Rupert Everett sparks outrage with gay parenting comments
- Photo: SI1/http://www.wenn.com/1 of 11
- Photo: Dimitrios Kambouris/WireImage.com2 of 11
- Photo: Lefteris Pitarakis/Invision/AP3 of 11
- Photo: WENN4 of 11
- Photo: WENN5 of 11
- Photo: Invision/AP6 of 11
- Photo: Invision/AP7 of 11
- Photo: Jeff Vespa/WireImage.com8 of 11
- Photo: Paramount Pictures9 of 11
- Photo: Fragile Films/Promotional10 of 11
More Celeb News
- Suits Midseason Finale: Where Does Louis Go From Here?MSNEntertainment 8/19/2014 5:00:00 PM
- Ray J Arraigned for Sexual Battery, Vandalism and Resisting ArrestMSNEntertainment 8/19/2014 4:59:00 PM
- Mark Wahlberg in Talks to Star in J.C. Chandor's 'Deepwater Horizon'MSNEntertainment 8/19/2014 4:49:00 PM
- 'The Gunfighter' Director Eric Kissack on How He Cast Nick Offerman: TheWrap&aMSNEntertainment 8/19/2014 4:06:00 PM
- Benedict Cumberbatch Joins WB's 'Jungle Book' as Voice of Shere KhanMSNEntertainment 8/19/2014 3:32:00 PM
- Suits Midseason Finale: Where Does Louis Go From Here?
British actor Rupert Everett has come under fire after declaring he "can't think of anything worse" than a gay couple raising a child.
The openly gay star has been criticized by equality campaigners after insisting that "children need a father and a mother."
In an interview with Britain's Sunday Times Magazine, Everett revealed how his mother, Sara McLean Everett, had met his boyfriend but "still wishes I had a wife and kids."
He added, "She thinks children need a father and a mother and I agree with her. I can't think of anything worse than being brought up by two gay dads. Some people might not agree with that. Fine! That's just my opinion. I'm not speaking on behalf of the gay community. In fact, I don't feel like I'm part of any 'community.' The only community I belong to is humanity and we've got too many children on the planet, so it's good not to have more."
RELATED: Anderson Cooper Announces He's Gay
Gay rights advocates have taken exception to Everett's comments. Ben Summerskill, chief executive of gay rights group Stonewall, says, "Rupert should get out a little bit more to see the facts for himself. There is absolutely no evidence that the kids of gay parents suffer in the way they are being brought up or in how they develop."
Everett's mother also told the publication she wished her son would start a family. "I'd like him to have children," she said. "He's so good with children. He'd make a wonderful father. But I also think a child needs a mummy and a daddy. I've told him that and he takes it very well. He doesn't get angry with me. He just smiles."
Check out Jessica Alba's baseball skills on today's Celebs Gone Social, hosted by Wonderwall Editor Jessica Wedemeyer.Watch Video »
Check out some of the most memorable Emmy fashion from over the years.Watch Video »
From Kourtney Kardashian to Mila Kunis, check out some of the best chic maternity wear celebs are sporting this summer.Watch Video »
Hot and Cold
Watch Hilary Duff and more stars take the ice bucket challenge on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
From Kim Kardashian to Jessica Biel, see what your favorite celebs look like sans makeup.Watch Video »
Check out the stars that spent the most on their weddings.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTSassy Single
From Crowd Ignite