Rupert Everett sparks outrage with gay parenting comments
- Photo: SI1/http://www.wenn.com/1 of 11
- Photo: Dimitrios Kambouris/WireImage.com2 of 11
- Photo: Lefteris Pitarakis/AP3 of 11
- Photo: WENN4 of 11
- Photo: WENN5 of 11
- Photo: AP6 of 11
- Photo: AP7 of 11
- Photo: Jeff Vespa/WireImage.com8 of 11
- Photo: Paramount Pictures9 of 11
- Photo: Fragile Films/Promotional10 of 11
More Celeb News
- Cannes: Sundance Selects Nabs Rights to Francois Ozon's 'Young & BeautifulMSNEntertainment 5/22/2013 4:01:48 PM
- Brad Pitt Names Jeremy Kleiner Co-President of Plan B EntertainmentMSNEntertainment 5/22/2013 3:15:58 PM
- E!'s 'The Wanted Life' Preview: Scooter Braun Stages an Intervention (VidMSNEntertainment 5/22/2013 2:55:28 PM
- David Janollari Signs 3-Year Development Deal With NBCMSNEntertainment 5/22/2013 2:42:27 PM
- Jennifer Aniston Stages Mini 'Friends' Reunion for 'Ellen'MSNEntertainment 5/22/2013 1:59:12 PM
- Cannes: Sundance Selects Nabs Rights to Francois Ozon's 'Young & Beautiful
British actor Rupert Everett has come under fire after declaring he "can't think of anything worse" than a gay couple raising a child.
The openly gay star has been criticized by equality campaigners after insisting that "children need a father and a mother."
In an interview with Britain's Sunday Times Magazine, Everett revealed how his mother, Sara McLean Everett, had met his boyfriend but "still wishes I had a wife and kids."
He added, "She thinks children need a father and a mother and I agree with her. I can't think of anything worse than being brought up by two gay dads. Some people might not agree with that. Fine! That's just my opinion. I'm not speaking on behalf of the gay community. In fact, I don't feel like I'm part of any 'community.' The only community I belong to is humanity and we've got too many children on the planet, so it's good not to have more."
RELATED: Anderson Cooper Announces He's Gay
Gay rights advocates have taken exception to Everett's comments. Ben Summerskill, chief executive of gay rights group Stonewall, says, "Rupert should get out a little bit more to see the facts for himself. There is absolutely no evidence that the kids of gay parents suffer in the way they are being brought up or in how they develop."
Everett's mother also told the publication she wished her son would start a family. "I'd like him to have children," she said. "He's so good with children. He'd make a wonderful father. But I also think a child needs a mummy and a daddy. I've told him that and he takes it very well. He doesn't get angry with me. He just smiles."
Kim Kardashian says her pregnancy lips are out of control, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders.Watch Video »
Check out Hollywood's hottest bikini bods on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
Robert Pattinson has moved out of the house he shared with Kristen Stewart, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders.Watch Video »
Better with age
See which stars just get better with age.Watch Video »
Check out some of Rihanna's worst wardrobe choices on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
Find out who went after Kendall Jenner on social media on today's Celebs Gone Social ...Watch Video »
- Party AnimalsCheck out some of Hollywood's biggest party animals.Watch Video »
- Carrie's ChangesSee how this country cutie has changed her looks over the years.Watch Video »
- Bikini BurnsFrom Kim Kardashian to Jessica Alba, see the worst celeb sunburns.Watch Video »
- Double TroubleFrom the Olsens to the Mowrys, see some of Hollywood's most famous twins.Watch Video »
- Country CutiesCheck out the hottest couples in country music.Watch Video »
From Videos of Wonderwall
From MSN Entertainment
From Crowd Ignite