Russell Brand: 'I Was Really Into the Idea of Marriage and Having Children' With Katy Perry
- Photo: Dimitrios Kambouris/WireImage.com1 of 18
- Photo: Chris Pizzello/Invision/AP2 of 18
- Photo: PMB/ZOJ/WENN3 of 18
- Photo: BIAG/GSI4 of 18
- Photo: BIAG/GSI5 of 18
- Photo: Daniel Tanner/WENN6 of 18
- Photo: Todd Williamson/Invision/AP7 of 18
- Photo: Lisa Rose/Viacom/Promotional8 of 18
- Photo: MYB/ZOB/ZDS/WENN9 of 18
- Photo: Gregg DeGuire/WireImage10 of 18
- Photo: The Cobra Snake/WENN11 of 18
- Photo: LTA/WENN12 of 18
- Photo: Nick Sadler/StarTraks13 of 18
- Photo: SNAPPER/Bauer-Griffin14 of 18
- Photo: PMK/WENN15 of 18
- Photo: Parade/.16 of 18
- Photo: John Shearer/Invision/AP17 of 18
More Celeb News
- Report: Joan Rivers Being Taken Out of ComaMSNEntertainment 9/1/2014 2:46:00 PM
- 'Saved by the Bell' Casting Director on Returning for the Movie, Why Finding a NewMSNEntertainment 9/1/2014 11:11:00 AM
- VENICE WATCH: McDormand hails female storiesMSNEntertainment 9/1/2014 10:20:02 AM
- 'Guardians' tops Labor Day, summer box officeMSNEntertainment 9/1/2014 10:07:27 AM
- Jennifer Lawrence requests nude pics investigationMSNEntertainment 9/1/2014 9:43:01 AM
- Report: Joan Rivers Being Taken Out of Coma
Howard Stern may be known for getting stars to speak candidly on their personal lives, but Russell Brand didn't take the bait when discussing his failed marriage with Katy Perry.
The 37-year-old British comic appeared on Stern's Sirius/XM radio show Wednesday for his first interview since his divorce from Perry was finalized on Monday. Brand was well-behaved and said, "She's a good person, I've got nothing but love for her."
So what went wrong?
"I loved her so much, it just seemed like the sensible thing to do [when we got married] ... I just loved her so much," he said of their wedding on Oct. 23, 2010, in India. But after 14 months, Brand realized, "This isn't really working out, it's a difficult situation ... I was really, really in love with her, but it was difficult to see each other ... We were together when it was right to be together, and when it wasn't, we worked it out ... It was a lovely relationship ... it mostly didn't work for practical reasons ... We did work it out, she's happy, I'm happy."
But the long distance relationship became too difficult. "She's young, successful and dedicated," Brand explained of Perry's career. "[The reality is] you can't fully understand it until you do it. I was really into the idea of marriage and having children."
The "Rock of Ages" star admitted he and Perry discussed starting a family, but wouldn't share any details of their conversation.
"I don't want anything to hurt her. She's younger than me, she's a young woman and she's beautiful and she's sensitive and I care about her deeply ... I don't want to be too glib," he explained. "She'll read it and she'll be sad and I don't want that."
Brand also didn't want Perry's money after they divorced. The "Wide Awake" singer reportedly earned over $40 million during their marriage, which Brand could have been entitled to half. "I've got a good job," he said. "All I want to do is I want to live a good life, seriously watch me. I'm just trying to be a decent person making jokes. I'm not into taking money from women or anybody. I don't need it."
The star did admit that he is now dating actress Jordana Brewster's younger sister, Isabella. "Some things in the newspaper aren't true ... that's true, actually," he said.
MORE ON WONDERWALL:
Check out the stars that spent the most on their weddings.Watch Video »
See where Hollywood's A-listers have spent the summer.Watch Video »
Get Mariah and Nick's marital woe breakdown on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Get the scoop on Bradley Bayou's dress design that Oprah wore to the Emmy Awards.Watch Video »
From Kim Kardashian to Jessica Biel, see what your favorite celebs look like sans makeup.Watch Video »
Jennifer Lopez reunites with Casper Smart, plus more famous friendly exes on Replay, hosted by Wonderwall's Jessica Wedemeyer.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTFirst Date Ready!
From Crowd Ignite