Russell Brand: 'I Was Really Into the Idea of Marriage and Having Children' With Katy Perry
- Photo: Dimitrios Kambouris/WireImage.com1 of 18
- Photo: Chris Pizzello/Invision/AP2 of 18
- Photo: PMB/ZOJ/WENN3 of 18
- Photo: BIAG/GSI4 of 18
- Photo: BIAG/GSI5 of 18
- Photo: Daniel Tanner/WENN6 of 18
- Photo: Todd Williamson/Invision/AP7 of 18
- Photo: Lisa Rose/Viacom/Promotional8 of 18
- Photo: MYB/ZOB/ZDS/WENN9 of 18
- Photo: Gregg DeGuire/WireImage10 of 18
- Photo: The Cobra Snake/WENN11 of 18
- Photo: LTA/WENN12 of 18
- Photo: Nick Sadler/StarTraks13 of 18
- Photo: SNAPPER/Bauer-Griffin14 of 18
- Photo: PMK/WENN15 of 18
- Photo: Parade/.16 of 18
- Photo: John Shearer/Invision/AP17 of 18
More Celeb News
- California Senate Passes $330 Million Film and TV Tax Credit ExpansionMSNEntertainment 8/29/2014 4:25:00 PM
- New Star Wars Film Resumes Production After Harrison Ford InjuryMSNEntertainment 8/29/2014 3:44:00 PM
- 'Greatest American Hero' Reboot by '22 Jump Street' Team in the MSNEntertainment 8/29/2014 2:59:00 PM
- 'The Following' Showrunner Jennifer Johnson Exits After Only Three MonthsMSNEntertainment 8/29/2014 1:19:00 PM
- A&E Networks to Buy Stake in Vice MediaMSNEntertainment 8/29/2014 12:51:00 PM
- California Senate Passes $330 Million Film and TV Tax Credit Expansion
Howard Stern may be known for getting stars to speak candidly on their personal lives, but Russell Brand didn't take the bait when discussing his failed marriage with Katy Perry.
The 37-year-old British comic appeared on Stern's Sirius/XM radio show Wednesday for his first interview since his divorce from Perry was finalized on Monday. Brand was well-behaved and said, "She's a good person, I've got nothing but love for her."
So what went wrong?
"I loved her so much, it just seemed like the sensible thing to do [when we got married] ... I just loved her so much," he said of their wedding on Oct. 23, 2010, in India. But after 14 months, Brand realized, "This isn't really working out, it's a difficult situation ... I was really, really in love with her, but it was difficult to see each other ... We were together when it was right to be together, and when it wasn't, we worked it out ... It was a lovely relationship ... it mostly didn't work for practical reasons ... We did work it out, she's happy, I'm happy."
But the long distance relationship became too difficult. "She's young, successful and dedicated," Brand explained of Perry's career. "[The reality is] you can't fully understand it until you do it. I was really into the idea of marriage and having children."
The "Rock of Ages" star admitted he and Perry discussed starting a family, but wouldn't share any details of their conversation.
"I don't want anything to hurt her. She's younger than me, she's a young woman and she's beautiful and she's sensitive and I care about her deeply ... I don't want to be too glib," he explained. "She'll read it and she'll be sad and I don't want that."
Brand also didn't want Perry's money after they divorced. The "Wide Awake" singer reportedly earned over $40 million during their marriage, which Brand could have been entitled to half. "I've got a good job," he said. "All I want to do is I want to live a good life, seriously watch me. I'm just trying to be a decent person making jokes. I'm not into taking money from women or anybody. I don't need it."
The star did admit that he is now dating actress Jordana Brewster's younger sister, Isabella. "Some things in the newspaper aren't true ... that's true, actually," he said.
MORE ON WONDERWALL:
Get the scoop on Bradley Bayou's dress design that Oprah wore to the Emmy Awards.Watch Video »
Rihanna strips down to a bikini while vacationing near an active volcano off the coast of Italy on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Lea Michele, Megan Fox, and Kate Walsh all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Her Little Pony
Check out Khloe Kardashian, Kaley Cuoco and more stars who ride horses on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
The guys from Rascal Flatts talk with Wonderwall editor Jessica Herndon about life on tour, crazy fan encounters and more.Watch Video »
Check out Kaley Cuoco's cutest canine-centric posts on social media on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTVolcano Vacay
From Crowd Ignite