Sexiest Man Alive Backlash: Ryan Gosling Fans Protest
- Photo: www.buzzfeed.com/.1 of 25
- Photo: www.buzzfeed.com/.2 of 25
- Photo: www.buzzfeed.com/.3 of 25
- Photo: www.buzzfeed.com/.4 of 25
- Photo: Facebook/.5 of 25
- Photo: Facebook/.6 of 25
- Photo: Facebook/.7 of 25
- Photo: Facebook/.8 of 25
- Photo: Yahoo via Jezebel/.9 of 25
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage.com10 of 25
- Photo: HBE/HSS/WENN11 of 25
- Photo: MUNAWAR HOSAIN/StarTraks12 of 25
- Photo: Clint Brewer/Splash News13 of 25
- Photo: FayesVision//WENN14 of 25
- Photo: Evan Agostini/AP15 of 25
- Photo: HBE/HSS/WENN16 of 25
- Photo: HTB/ZOJ/WENN17 of 25
- Photo: KYLE ROVER/StarTraks18 of 25
- Photo: MWB/RSG/ZOJ/WENN19 of 25
- Photo: HBE/HSS/WENN20 of 25
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage21 of 25
- Photo: Katy Winn/AP22 of 25
- Photo: Splash News23 of 25
- Photo: VPC/WENN24 of 25
More Celeb News
- Director Costa-Gavras: European Cinema Could Not Survive Without State Protection MSNEntertainment 6/18/2013 4:39:13 PM
- HBO Passes on Darren Aronofsky Pilot 'Hobgoblin,' FX Eyes Project (Exclusive)MSNEntertainment 6/18/2013 4:34:40 PM
- Journalist Michael Hastings Dead at 33MSNEntertainment 6/18/2013 4:21:05 PM
- Paul Feig Developing Female James Bond Comedy 'Susan Cooper'MSNEntertainment 6/18/2013 4:06:06 PM
- Reed Elsevier Sues Jay Penske's Variety, Claims $1.3 Million OwedMSNEntertainment 6/18/2013 3:18:15 PM
- Director Costa-Gavras: European Cinema Could Not Survive Without State Protection
By Chris Gardner
Hell hath no fury like a Ryan Gosling fan scorned.
Thousands of supporters of the "Drive" star have taken to the Internet -- and the streets -- to ferociously, and often comically, protest People magazine's selection of Bradley Cooper as its Sexiest Man Alive for 2011.
RELATED: Hollywood's hottest male imports
People unveiled its pick on Wednesday, and almost immediately, legions of Gosling supporters expressed their outrage over him "losing" the title to the "Hangover" star. It simply wasn't good enough that Gosling still managed to make the mag's cover and be included as an "honoree." Instead, Gosling devotees are protesting and petitioning for him to receive his own People cover and snag the sexy back from Cooper.
It's one of the first times the annual unveiling has drawn such an intensely negative reaction. The story has gotten big enough that the magazine itself covered the protest on its website, calling the anti-Cooper, pro-Gosling movement "unexpected."
Gosling groupies launched their protests on message boards and comment sections before moving their frustrations to Facebook. There, fans organized a Thursday afternoon protest in front of People magazine's offices at the Time-Life Building at 1271 Avenue of the Americas in Manhattan, N.Y. Photos posted on the protest's event page showed several dozen participants (both men and women) waving signs and cardboard cut-outs of Gosling's face.
Supporters of the sexy that is Sir Gosling are citing his breakout year in 2011, which saw him star in three high-profile movies: "Drive," "The Ides of March" and "Crazy, Stupid, Love." The latter particularly turned heads and raised temperatures, thanks to Gosling's impressive shirtless scene featuring a tanned and chiseled torso. The Canadian-born heartthrob has also garnered impressive traction for his lovable charms, like rescuing dogs and donning GQ-worthy red carpet fashion.
Meanwhile back on the Internet, more than 2,000 signatures have been compiled on a petition via Change.org to get Gosling that cover. Simply providing their John Hancock isn't enough, though, and fans are making sure their opinions are voiced on the site as well. June Chaiyasit posted, "This is a TRAVESTY. I fear for the sanity of the world when a magazine as reputable as People could be blind to the obvious superiority of Ryan's sexiness. This is far more concerning than any other human injustice I've seen thus far."
Christine Hnath continued, "Clearly the honor goes to Mr. Gosling, hands down. HANDS. DOWN. I mean, did they even see 'Drive'? Or 'Crazy, Stupid, Love'? The man makes any woman with a working set of ovaries weak in the knees."
And apparently men, too. Gosling supporters of the same-sex variety are also standing up to show their frustration. One Facebook user posted a photo of Cooper's People cover crossed out in blue ink with a note on the side that says, "Not My People."
Supporters of the movement have even piggybacked their anger with Occupy Wall Street. Borrowing the movement's slogan, they posted a Gosling pictorial on Facebook that is emblazoned with the now-familiar saying "We Are the 99%." The same artwork includes this decree: "We believe People Magazine made a huge mistake by choosing Bradley Cooper as the 2011 Sexiest Man Alive. 2011 was clearly The Year of Gosling, and we demand that People Magazine give Ryan his own magazine cover. Together, we can right this wrong."
Not so fast.
People's executive editor Liz Sporkin said the magazine is faithfully standing by their man.
"Bradley Cooper is the whole package. He's gorgeous, talented, brainy, loves his mom, can cook up a storm and speak fluent French!" Sporkin said in a story posted on the mag's site late Thursday afternoon. "Who can argue with that?"
No word from yet from Cooper or Gosling.
But someone who is speaking out about the sexy scandal is George Clooney. Asked about Gosling's alleged snub, Clooney confessed that his "The Ides of March" co-star "really wants it." And perhaps more shocking than Clooney's claim is that Gosling gained some valuable coaching on his quest to be crowned the sexiest guy alive.
"He's been saying... the whole time we were on the set of 'Ides,' he was like, 'How did you pull that [winning Sexiest Man Alive] off?'" Clooney told Extra. "So I called up Brad Pitt and we worked with him for weeks on the walk. ... We told him how to train ... everything."
Apparently Clooney and Pitt's teaching skills were a little rusty, even though both won the title twice: Clooney in 1996 and 2007, Pitt in 1995 and 2000.
Well, there's always next year.
Until then, we can offer Gosling fanatics this Eye Candy photo gallery. Enjoy.
- Brad Pitt's Changing Looks
- Hollywood's Hottest Dads
- Mark Wahlberg's Shirtless Looks
- Prince William & Duchess Kate's Cutest Couple Moments
- Stars with tattoos of other celebs
- Brooke Shields' Changing Looks
- Carrie Underwood's Evolving Looks
- 'Fast & Furious 6' Cast Yearbook Photos
- Worst Celeb Sunburns
- Celeb Twins
- Celebs Who Work Out on the Beach
- Country Music's Hottest Couples
- Worst spring wardrobes
- Leonardo DiCaprio's Romance Retro
- WATN: 'Boy Meets World'
- Tim McGraw's changing looks
- Craziest Kim Kardashian pregnancy rumors
- Celebs Who Look Like Their Pets
- Mariah & Nick's Matching Style
- Hollywood's Tomboys
- The Royal Couple's Favorite Sports
- Kim Kardashian's Curvy Maternity Style
- WATN: 'Jurassic Park'
- January Jones' Retro Looks
- The Rock's Soft Side
- WATN: 'Veronica Mars'
- WATN: 'Beetlejuice'
- Fergie's Changing Looks
- Star Twitter Quitters
- Hollywood's Hottest Ryans
- Insured Celebrity Body Parts
- Most Expensive Celeb Engagement Rings
- Sweetest Celeb PDA
- Kim Kardashian's Tightest Looks
- Olivia Wilde's Best Street Style
- Justin Timberlake's Many Looks
- Hottest Royal Beach Bodies
- Celebrity Pets with Famous Names
- Michelle Williams' Best Fashion Moments
- Lindsay Lohan's Changing Looks
- Justin Bieber's Changing Hair
- Most Awkward People on the Red Carpet
- WATN: '7th Heaven'
- Ke$ha's Worst Looks
- Worst Oscar Fashion
- George Clooney's Oscar Dates
- Most Embarrassing Celeb Splits
- Stars Before They Were Oscar Nominees
- Jennifer Lawrence's Best Fashion Moments
- Rihanna's Sexiest Grammy Style
- Drew Barrymore's Craziest Looks
- Jennifer Aniston's Changing Looks
- Worst Dressed Celeb Designers
- Anne Hathaway's Oscar Looks
- Grammy's Hottest Couples
- Taylor Swift's Best Grammy Fashion
- WATN: 'Wonder Years'
- Destiny's Child's Most Iconic Looks
- Best Off-Season Bikini Bods
- Emma Stone's Best Red-Carpet Looks
- Celeb Flashers
- Mariah Carey's Biggest Feuds
- Mariah Carey's Wacky Wardrobe
- Britney Spears' Wackiest Red Carpet Poses
- Celeb Makeup Mistakes
- Ryan Gosling's Leading Ladies
- Nicole Kidman's Golden Globe Fashion
- Katy Perry's Year as a Single Gal
- Celebs Who've Removed Romantic Tattoos
- Most Memorable Celeb Holiday Cards
- Five of the Worst Celeb Winter Wardrobes
- Jennifer Aniston & Justin Theroux's Romance Retro
- Stars Who Are Aging in Reverse
- Christina Aguilera's Worst Looks
- 2012's One Hit Wonders
- Celebs Without Makeup
- Best and Worst Beach Bodies of 2012
- 2012 Fashion Don'ts
- Craziest Beauty Trends of 2012
- Celebs Who Survived Cheating Scandals
- The Turkeys of 2012
- Kristen Stewart's Best Red Carpet Moments
- WATN: 'Less Than Zero'
- Star Couples Who Went from Friends to Lovers
- The Most Famous Celebrity Pets
- The Hottest Celebrity Halloween Costumes
- WATN: 'I Know What You Did Last Summer'
- Jessica Biel's White Hot Red Carpet Style
Take a look back at Prince William and Duchess Kate's cutest couple moments.Watch Video »
Two months after major marital problems, Ozzy and Sharon do a Hollywood date night on Celebs gone Social.Watch Video »
Demi Lovato drops some major newborn scoop about Selena Gomez's family on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
See how this former Calvin Klein model's looks have changed over the years.Watch Video »
See how this country cutie has changed her looks over the years.Watch Video »
Star Inspired Ink
From Ryan Cabrera to Megan Fox, see celebs who've gotten tattoos of other stars.Watch Video »
From Videos of Wonderwall
From Crowd Ignite