Ryan Gosling: 'Notebook' Director Told Me I Wasn't 'Handsome' or 'Cool'
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage.com1 of 15
- Photo: New Line Cinema/Promotional2 of 15
- Photo: HBE/HSS/WENN3 of 15
- Photo: HBE/HSS/WENN4 of 15
- Photo: Evan Agostini/Invision/AP5 of 15
- Photo: Katy Winn/Invision/AP6 of 15
- Photo: Joel Ryan/Invision/AP7 of 15
- Photo: KYLE ROVER/StarTraks8 of 15
- Photo: MUNAWAR HOSAIN/StarTraks9 of 15
- Photo: Clint Brewer/Splash News10 of 15
- Photo: Reed Saxon/Invision/AP11 of 15
- Photo: MGM/Promotional12 of 15
- Photo: HBE/HSS/WENN13 of 15
- Photo: Kevork Djansezian/Invision/AP14 of 15
More Celeb News
- Meg Ryan Joins the Cast of How I Met Your DadMSNEntertainment 4/23/2014 4:47:00 PM
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus Gets It On with a Clown—On Camera—for GQMSNEntertainment 4/23/2014 3:40:00 PM
- Exclusive: Royal Pains Adds Alpha House Alum for Mysterious Recurring RoleMSNEntertainment 4/23/2014 2:31:00 PM
- Apple Revenue Climbs to $45.6 Billion Thanks to Strong iPhone SalesMSNEntertainment 4/23/2014 1:49:00 PM
- WWE's Stone Cold Steve Austin Slams 'Motherfkers' Who Don't AgreMSNEntertainment 4/23/2014 1:03:00 PM
- Meg Ryan Joins the Cast of How I Met Your Dad
Millions of women and men would disagree with director Nick Cassavetes -- who cast a then-unknown Ryan Gosling in "The Notebook" because, well, he wasn't that cute.
Now one of the most sought-after hunks in Hollywood, the "Drive" actor, 31, was just a Mickey Mouse Club alum and indie movie actor when Cassavetes was casting for his now-beloved, 2004 romantic film.
"The director, Nick Cassavetes, called me to meet him at his house," Gosling tells the British magazine Company. "When I got there, he was standing in his back yard, and he looked at me and said, 'I want you to play this role because you're not like the other young actors out there in Hollywood. You're not handsome, you're not cool, you're just a regular guy who looks a bit nuts."
Gosling went on to star in the smash film opposite fellow Canadian Rachel McAdams -- whom he dated and was briefly engaged to.
And despite his leading man status today, Gosling tells the mag he grew up a "lonely child. I didn't do well at school and TV was my only friend."
It was watching the small screen that inspired him to go Hollywood. "Then, one day, I saw Raquel Welch on 'The Muppet Show.' She was dancing with this big furry spider and I immediately fell in love. She was the first crush I ever had, and I thought, 'How do I get to meet this woman?' And then I thought, 'Well, she's on TV, so to meet her I have to get on TV myself."
MORE ON WONDERWALL:
Worst Mom Style
Check out Kim Kardashian's worst fashion moments as a mom.Watch Video »
Where Are They?
See what the cast of "Sabrina the Teenage Witch" is up to today.Watch Video »
Jessica Simpson, Kourtney Kardashian, Beyonce, Gisele and Kendra Wilkinson post Easter Sunday pics on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Where are they?
See where the former cast of "The Girls Next Door" is today.Watch Video »
Lady Gaga, Katy Perry, and Rita Ora all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Lindsay Lohan, David Beckham, Justin Bieber and 50 Cent show off their globe-trotting travels on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTStar Weight Loss
From Crowd Ignite