Ryan O'Neal: 'Farrah Fawcett died in my arms'
- Photo: Chris Pizzello/Invision/AP1 of 15
- Photo: Matt Rourke/Invision/AP2 of 15
- Photo: Kirkland/Retna Ltd.3 of 15
- Photo: Invision/AP4 of 15
- Photo: Gary Lewis/Retna Digital5 of 15
- Photo: StillPhoto/SUNSHINE/Retna Ltd.6 of 15
- Photo: Invision/AP7 of 15
- Photo: Promotional8 of 15
- Photo: Sara De Boer/Retna Ltd.9 of 15
- Photo: Armando Gallo/Retna Ltd.10 of 15
- Photo: Gary Lewis/Camera Press/Retna Digital11 of 15
- Photo: Camera Press / TVA/Retna Digital12 of 15
- Photo: Gary Lewis / Camera Press/Retna Digital13 of 15
- Photo: Joseph Marzullo/Retna Digital14 of 15
More Celeb News
- An 86-year-old Utah woman writes romance novelMSNEntertainment 8/20/2014 4:50:09 AM
- Jackie Chan expressed shame over son's drug arrestMSNEntertainment 8/20/2014 4:42:39 AM
- Turner Plans Organizational Restructuring in Next Two MonthsMSNEntertainment 8/19/2014 9:03:00 PM
- 'Sin City: A Dame to Kill For' Premiere to Feature Live 3D Red Carpet BroadcastMSNEntertainment 8/19/2014 8:40:00 PM
- NFL's Super Bowl Halftime Show to Katy Perry, Rihanna and Coldplay: Show Me the Money!MSNEntertainment 8/19/2014 7:25:00 PM
- An 86-year-old Utah woman writes romance novel
Reported by WENN
Actor Ryan O'Neal has told how he cradled his dying lover Farrah Fawcett for hours on her deathbed before she finally succumbed to cancer. The "Charlie's Angels" star was struck down with anal cancer in 2006 and O'Neal was a constant presence at her side as her condition deteriorated.
RELATED: Ryan O'Neal Diagnosed With Cancer
O'Neal, who is fighting stage 2 prostate cancer, detailed his heartbreak over Fawcett's failing health in his diaries, which have been made into a new book, "Both Of Us: My Life With Farrah," and serialized in Britain's Mail on Sunday.
In the book, O'Neal tells how he planned to marry Fawcett in St John's Hospital, but the priest who arrived to oversee the ceremony ended up administering the last rites instead.
RELATED: Farrah and more Celebs In Memoriam
He writes, "After the priest leaves, I lie down next to her, wrap my body around her to keep her warm, and then take her hand. I can feel a steady pulse... I caress her hand for hours. Her heart refuses to quit.
"I'm left alone with my love. I take her hand. I can still feel her pulse, but now it is fluttering. She's trying to let go. Her heartbeat slows, then disappears. On the morning of June 25, Farrah slips into eternal sleep."
RELATED: Farrah and more Angelic Celebs
O'Neal also shares his shame over the physical altercations he and Fawcett endured during their tumultuous relationship: "Neither of us possessed the emotional discipline to say: 'Wait a minute, this isn't normal, we need help.'
"You have to remember that I'm a trained boxer... If someone is coming at me with fists flailing, my instinct is to block the blows, which is what I did with Farrah... I didn't see my behavior as aberrant. In reality, most of the time it wasn't her I was lashing out at, it was my kids, the world, Hollywood, my agent, you name it. I'm a moody guy."
Check out Jessica Alba's baseball skills on today's Celebs Gone Social, hosted by Wonderwall Editor Jessica Wedemeyer.Watch Video »
Check out some of the most memorable Emmy fashion from over the years.Watch Video »
From Kourtney Kardashian to Mila Kunis, check out some of the best chic maternity wear celebs are sporting this summer.Watch Video »
Hot and Cold
Watch Hilary Duff and more stars take the ice bucket challenge on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
From Kim Kardashian to Jessica Biel, see what your favorite celebs look like sans makeup.Watch Video »
Check out the stars that spent the most on their weddings.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTSassy Single
From Crowd Ignite