Salma Hayek: I Am Proud to Be Mexican
- Photo: Gregg DeGuire/WireImage1 of 16
- Photo: Jack G./Retna Digital2 of 16
- Photo: Orchon/Retna Digital3 of 16
- Photo: John Spellman/Retna Ltd.4 of 16
- Photo: Joseph Kerlakian/StarTraks5 of 16
- Photo: LTA/WENN6 of 16
- Photo: Evan Agostini/Invision/AP7 of 16
- Photo: George Pimentel/WireImage8 of 16
- Photo: KB4/WENN9 of 16
- Photo: John Shearer/WireImage10 of 16
- Photo: FA1/HSS/WENN11 of 16
- Photo: Splash News12 of 16
- Photo: ELIOT PRESS/Bauer-Griffin13 of 16
- Photo: JMAB/VMAB/http://www.wenn.com/14 of 16
- Photo: Allpix/Splash News15 of 16
More Celeb News
- Suits Midseason Finale: Where Does Louis Go From Here?MSNEntertainment 8/19/2014 5:00:00 PM
- Ray J Arraigned for Sexual Battery, Vandalism and Resisting ArrestMSNEntertainment 8/19/2014 4:59:00 PM
- Mark Wahlberg in Talks to Star in J.C. Chandor's 'Deepwater Horizon'MSNEntertainment 8/19/2014 4:49:00 PM
- 'The Gunfighter' Director Eric Kissack on How He Cast Nick Offerman: TheWrap&aMSNEntertainment 8/19/2014 4:06:00 PM
- Benedict Cumberbatch Joins WB's 'Jungle Book' as Voice of Shere KhanMSNEntertainment 8/19/2014 3:32:00 PM
- Suits Midseason Finale: Where Does Louis Go From Here?
LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Salma Hayek says she is proud to be Mexican and that comments suggesting otherwise were "lost in translation."
RELATED: Salma Hayek's Expensive Wedding
The 45-year-old actress issued a statement Thursday after German Vogue magazine quoted her as saying she "hardly had any memories of what it is to be Mexican."
Hayek says she has never denied her background or culture, and has taught her young daughter to speak Spanish and appreciate Mexican history, music, food and folk art. She goes on to say that she has always tried "to represent my Mexican roots with honor and pride" and is saddened by the magazine's misinterpretation of her remarks.
Hayek plays the leader of a Mexican drug cartel in the Oliver Stone drama "Savages."
RELATED: Salma Hayek Eye Candy
Check out Jessica Alba's baseball skills on today's Celebs Gone Social, hosted by Wonderwall Editor Jessica Wedemeyer.Watch Video »
Check out some of the most memorable Emmy fashion from over the years.Watch Video »
Check out the stars that spent the most on their weddings.Watch Video »
From Kourtney Kardashian to Mila Kunis, check out some of the best chic maternity wear celebs are sporting this summer.Watch Video »
From Kim Kardashian to Jessica Biel, see what your favorite celebs look like sans makeup.Watch Video »
Hot and Cold
Watch Hilary Duff and more stars take the ice bucket challenge on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTSassy Single
From Crowd Ignite