Salma Hayek: I got to see myself 'completely disfigured' when I was pregnant
- Photo: AB1/WENN1 of 10
- Photo: Mike Marsland/WireImage2 of 10
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage3 of 10
- Photo: CHP/Fame Flynet4 of 10
- Photo: SKA/HSS/WENN5 of 10
- Photo: Joel Ryan/Invision/AP6 of 10
- Photo: VERONICA BADOLIN/StarTraks7 of 10
- Photo: Pablo/Fame Flynet8 of 10
- Photo: Fame Pictures9 of 10
More Celeb News
- World Cup: Hollywood Hails Germany, Cries for Argentina on TwitterMSNEntertainment 7/13/2014 4:30:00 PM
- NBC's 'Constantine' Casts Mexican-American Star as ZedMSNEntertainment 7/13/2014 4:24:00 PM
- Telenovela Star Angelica Celaya Cast as Zed on ConstantineMSNEntertainment 7/13/2014 3:42:00 PM
- 'Real Housewives of NJ's' Dina Manzo on Haters: 'I Don'MSNEntertainment 7/13/2014 3:24:00 PM
- The Mysteries of Laura Promises Drama, Comedy and ... Barf!MSNEntertainment 7/13/2014 3:06:00 PM
- World Cup: Hollywood Hails Germany, Cries for Argentina on Twitter
Salma Hayek loves her daughter, but she wasn't exactly basking in the glow of pregnancy before Valentina's September 2007 birth. Recalling the experience in a new interview with Glamour magazine's Glam Belleza Latina, the 46-year-old Mexican-American stunner says putting 50 pounds on her petite frame changed her self-perception and -- initially, at least -- not for the better. Ultimately, though, it made her more forgiving of her flaws.
"I gained so much weight, I got an opportunity to see myself completely disfigured in many different ways -- for a very good reason -- and I don't regret it for a second," she tells the mag. "That's when I started appreciating my body. The things that I used to criticize, they were not that bad after all."
That kind of self-assurance doesn't come easy, Hayek says, especially given the pressure women are under these days. "We've got to fight for our confidence every day in modern life because we live in a society that is very harsh to women," she explains. "You have to be smart and successful and a good mother and beautiful and young and skinny forever."
Talk about impossible expectations. Fortunately, Hayek's own definition of living well is considerably less demanding. "Success is happiness," the actress tells Glam Belleza Latina. "If you've found the right companion for life, a good relationship with loved ones, if you are healthy -- my God, you are immensely successful."
By those standards, Hayek is a smash. Married to Francois-Henri Pinault since 2009, she's happier now than she's ever been.
"I believe that change keeps you young. I'm a late bloomer; I always have been," she says. "A lot of women think that this is the [age] when you start getting depressed. To that I say, 'No, no, no, no, no!' I'm having the best time of my life."
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
See some of the many revealing looks that Kim Kardashian has donned recently.Watch Video »
From Sofia Vergara to Zac Efron, check out who's coupling up on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Kesha's New Looks
See how Kesha's looks have changed since Rehab.Watch Video »
Star Inspired Ink
From Ryan Cabrera to Megan Fox, see celebs who've gotten tattoos of other stars.Watch Video »
Check out some of the cutest celeb baby bumps hitting the beach this summer.Watch Video »
Get the scoop about the troubled star on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTBikini Bods!
From Crowd Ignite