Salma Hayek: I got to see myself 'completely disfigured' when I was pregnant
- Photo: AB1/WENN1 of 10
- Photo: Mike Marsland/WireImage2 of 10
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage3 of 10
- Photo: CHP/Fame Flynet4 of 10
- Photo: SKA/HSS/WENN5 of 10
- Photo: Joel Ryan/Invision/AP6 of 10
- Photo: VERONICA BADOLIN/StarTraks7 of 10
- Photo: Pablo/Fame Flynet8 of 10
- Photo: Fame Pictures9 of 10
More Celeb News
- Pretty Little Liars Boss: Finale Sets Up Season 5 to Feel Like a Whole New Show MSNEntertainment 3/16/2014 4:16:00 PM
- Sailor in Iconic End-of-World War II Kissing Photo DeadMSNEntertainment 3/16/2014 4:00:00 PM
- Stooges Drummer Scott Asheton Dead, Iggy Pop SaysMSNEntertainment 3/16/2014 3:52:00 PM
- 'Pretty Little Liars' Producers and Cast Talk Finale, Season 5 and Caleb'MSNEntertainment 3/16/2014 3:38:00 PM
- Bachelor Vet Elizabeth Kitt Weds Bachelorette Alum Ty BrownMSNEntertainment 3/16/2014 3:31:00 PM
- Pretty Little Liars Boss: Finale Sets Up Season 5 to Feel Like a Whole New Show
Salma Hayek loves her daughter, but she wasn't exactly basking in the glow of pregnancy before Valentina's September 2007 birth. Recalling the experience in a new interview with Glamour magazine's Glam Belleza Latina, the 46-year-old Mexican-American stunner says putting 50 pounds on her petite frame changed her self-perception and -- initially, at least -- not for the better. Ultimately, though, it made her more forgiving of her flaws.
"I gained so much weight, I got an opportunity to see myself completely disfigured in many different ways -- for a very good reason -- and I don't regret it for a second," she tells the mag. "That's when I started appreciating my body. The things that I used to criticize, they were not that bad after all."
That kind of self-assurance doesn't come easy, Hayek says, especially given the pressure women are under these days. "We've got to fight for our confidence every day in modern life because we live in a society that is very harsh to women," she explains. "You have to be smart and successful and a good mother and beautiful and young and skinny forever."
Talk about impossible expectations. Fortunately, Hayek's own definition of living well is considerably less demanding. "Success is happiness," the actress tells Glam Belleza Latina. "If you've found the right companion for life, a good relationship with loved ones, if you are healthy -- my God, you are immensely successful."
By those standards, Hayek is a smash. Married to Francois-Henri Pinault since 2009, she's happier now than she's ever been.
"I believe that change keeps you young. I'm a late bloomer; I always have been," she says. "A lot of women think that this is the [age] when you start getting depressed. To that I say, 'No, no, no, no, no!' I'm having the best time of my life."
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
Paris Hilton flaunts her new real estate development, the Paris Beach Club, on Celebs Gone Social hosted by Wonderwall editor Chris Gardner.Watch Video »
The Kardashian sisters take Miami in style on today's Celebs Gone Social hosted by Wonderwall editor Chris Gardner.Watch Video »
Rita Ora, Kristen Bell, and Britney Spears all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Get the scoop on all the controversy surrounding the "Bachelor" Juan Pablo on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
See how Brad Pitt's looks have changed over the years.Watch Video »
Find out what Oscar winners Jared Leto and Lupita Nyong’o have been up to since the Academy Awards on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
From Crowd Ignite