- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage.com1 of 9
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage.com2 of 9
- Photo: AP3 of 9
- Photo: Eddie Mejia/Splash News4 of 9
- Photo: JLM/Splash News5 of 9
- Photo: Denis Poroy/AP6 of 9
- Photo: Tuukka Jantti/Pacific Coast News7 of 9
- Photo: Paul Hennessy/Splash News8 of 9
More Celeb News
- Cannes Review: Robert Redford's Actions Speak Much Louder Than Words in 'All Is LoMSNEntertainment 5/22/2013 11:48:12 AM
- Billy Crystal Pilot 'The Comedians' Gets Order From FX MSNEntertainment 5/22/2013 11:30:15 AM
- Phase 4 Films Seals Financing Deal With Aver Media Finance (Exclusive)MSNEntertainment 5/22/2013 10:55:00 AM
- 'Twilight,' 'Iron Man 3' Lead First Wave of Teen Choice Awards NMSNEntertainment 5/22/2013 10:25:15 AM
- Cannes: Top French Filmmaker Olivier Assayas to Make First U.S. FilmMSNEntertainment 5/22/2013 10:01:06 AM
- Cannes Review: Robert Redford's Actions Speak Much Louder Than Words in 'All Is Lo
The couple later released the following statement: "After long and careful consideration on both our parts, we've decided to end our marriage. We entered our relationship with love and it's with love and kindness we leave it. While privacy isn't expected, it's certainly appreciated."
"They are being very civil about it," Us magazine's source says, noting that the spouses separated about two weeks ago.
Johansson, 26, began dating Reynolds, 34, in 2007. The stars announced their engagement in May 2008 and tied the knot that September in a remote wilderness retreat in Vancouver, B.C.
The source explains that "Iron Man 2" star Johansson initiated the split. At issue? "The big problem with their relationship is the distance," says the source. "They spent a lot of time apart when they are working...She's been unhappy for a while."
Johansson told Glamour last year that she's no expert on relationships. "I don't profess to know anything about marriage that anybody else doesn't know, or how to make it right," she told the mag.
"Green Lantern" star Reynolds, meanwhile, admitted in the October issue of GQ that things had "changed" since they got married. "I'm a little more guarded, I think," he said. "I'm a little bit more wary of having my relationship turned into a soap opera."
Still, he gushed at the time that marriage was the "best part" of his life.
More on Wonderwall:
More on Usmagazine.com:
- Party AnimalsCheck out some of Hollywood's biggest party animals.Watch Video »
- Carrie's ChangesSee how this country cutie has changed her looks over the years.Watch Video »
- Bikini BurnsFrom Kim Kardashian to Jessica Alba, see the worst celeb sunburns.Watch Video »
- Double TroubleFrom the Olsens to the Mowrys, see some of Hollywood's most famous twins.Watch Video »
- Country CutiesCheck out the hottest couples in country music.Watch Video »
- Crazy QuotesCheck out some of Gwyneth Paltrow's craziest quotes.Watch Video »
From Videos of Wonderwall
From MSN Entertainment
From Crowd Ignite