Sean Penn: My marriage to Robin Wright was a 'fraud'
- Photo: Stewart Cook/Rex USA1 of 11
- Photo: WENN2 of 11
- Photo: George Pimentel/WireImage3 of 11
- Photo: Mark J. Terrill/Invision/AP4 of 11
- Photo: Ariana Cubillos/Invision/AP5 of 11
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage.com6 of 11
- Photo: PS3/WENN7 of 11
- Photo: Dan Steinberg/R-STEINBERG8 of 11
- Photo: © Joe Stevens/Retna Ltd.9 of 11
- Photo: Lester Cohen/WireImage10 of 11
More Celeb News
- ABC's 'Nashville' Plans 2 Live Performances During Season 3 PremiereMSNEntertainment 8/1/2014 4:40:00 PM
- 'Big Bang Theory' Contract Talks: 5 Past Negotiations to Set Your Mind at EaseMSNEntertainment 8/1/2014 4:32:00 PM
- Christina Aguilera Dresses Up Like Demi Moore for Naked, Pregnant Magazine Cover (Photos)MSNEntertainment 8/1/2014 4:20:00 PM
- Selena Gomez Breaks Her Own Rotten Tomatoes Record With a Zero for 'Behaving Badly&aposMSNEntertainment 8/1/2014 4:09:00 PM
- Grey's Anatomy's Ellen Pompeo Developing Drama for ABC FamilyMSNEntertainment 8/1/2014 3:11:00 PM
- ABC's 'Nashville' Plans 2 Live Performances During Season 3 Premiere
Time clearly hasn't worked its healing powers on Sean Penn's heart.
In the new issue of Esquire, the two-time Oscar winner opens up about his struggle to come to terms with the end of his marriage to Robin Wright. (The pair wed in 1996 and divorced in 2010; Penn was also married to Madonna from 1985 to 1989.)
"There is no shame in saying that we all want to be loved by someone. As I look back over my life in romance, I don't feel I've ever had that," the "Gangster Squad" star says. "I have been the only one that was unaware of the fraud in a few of these circumstances blindly."
Although the actor doesn't mention "Moneyball" star Wright, 46, by name, Penn confesses the couple was forced to acknowledge some uncomfortable facts about their relationship during the drawn-out divorce process.
"When you get divorced, all the truths come out, you sit there and go, 'What the f--- was I doing? What was I doing believing that this person was invested in this way?' Which is a fantastically strong humiliation in the best sense," he says. "It can make somebody very bitter and very hard and closed off, but I find it does the opposite to me."
Things took a turn for the worse following Penn's split from Wright: less than one year later, their son Hopper, 19, was involved in a serious skateboarding accident. (The pair are also parents to daughter Dylan, 21.)
"It had already been eight months of divorce and s--t, and raising a kid that's going through the divorce himself, and then this f---ing thing happens . . . it was a tough, tough time," Penn confesses.
When everything else in his life felt bleak, the actor says his Haiti activism helped put things -- including his heartbreak and his son's accident -- into perspective.
"The road started with the most obvious kind of trauma -- my son's head -- and then to get to a place that had been just so devastated and traumatized, and then to see that in fact most of the trauma actually predated the earthquake," the founder of J/P Haitian Relief Organization shares. "You had a country that had never experienced anything that related to comfort, and out of that you had great trauma -- but also this great strength that, I think, we all benefited from."
MORE FROM ESQUIRE:
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
Bloom vs. Bieber
Get the scoop on Orlando Bloom and Justin Bieber's on-going feud on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Get the scoop on Naya Rivera's wacky wedding on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Gisele Bundchen swims with horses on today's Celebs Gone Social hosted by Wonderwall Editor Jessica Wedemeyer.Watch Video »
Heidi Klum, Jada Pinkett Smith, and Miranda Kerr all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
See how Angelina Jolie's looks have changed over the years.Watch Video »
Let's check out some of Eva's tactics behind her baby bump secret on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXT'Sin'-fully Sexy
From Crowd Ignite