Sean Penn: My marriage to Robin Wright was a 'fraud'
- Photo: Stewart Cook/Rex USA1 of 11
- Photo: WENN2 of 11
- Photo: George Pimentel/WireImage3 of 11
- Photo: Mark J. Terrill/Invision/AP4 of 11
- Photo: Ariana Cubillos/Invision/AP5 of 11
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage.com6 of 11
- Photo: PS3/WENN7 of 11
- Photo: Dan Steinberg/R-STEINBERG8 of 11
- Photo: © Joe Stevens/Retna Ltd.9 of 11
- Photo: Lester Cohen/WireImage10 of 11
More Celeb News
- Gabrielle Union Vows to Contact FBI After Stolen Topless Photos Are LeakedMSNEntertainment 9/21/2014 8:44:00 AM
- Why Is Hope Solo Allowed to Play Soccer Despite Domestic Abuse Charges?MSNEntertainment 9/21/2014 8:19:00 AM
- HBO's Beyonce-Jay Z 'On the Run Tour' Documentary Slayed Fans: The Best TMSNEntertainment 9/20/2014 8:56:00 PM
- TLC's 'Little People, Big World' Star Jeremy Roloff's Wedding FiMSNEntertainment 9/20/2014 6:17:00 PM
- Investigating Veronica Mars: Creator Rob Thomas on the Show's Enduring Legacy 10 Years LateMSNEntertainment 9/20/2014 3:32:00 PM
- Gabrielle Union Vows to Contact FBI After Stolen Topless Photos Are Leaked
Time clearly hasn't worked its healing powers on Sean Penn's heart.
In the new issue of Esquire, the two-time Oscar winner opens up about his struggle to come to terms with the end of his marriage to Robin Wright. (The pair wed in 1996 and divorced in 2010; Penn was also married to Madonna from 1985 to 1989.)
"There is no shame in saying that we all want to be loved by someone. As I look back over my life in romance, I don't feel I've ever had that," the "Gangster Squad" star says. "I have been the only one that was unaware of the fraud in a few of these circumstances blindly."
Although the actor doesn't mention "Moneyball" star Wright, 46, by name, Penn confesses the couple was forced to acknowledge some uncomfortable facts about their relationship during the drawn-out divorce process.
"When you get divorced, all the truths come out, you sit there and go, 'What the f--- was I doing? What was I doing believing that this person was invested in this way?' Which is a fantastically strong humiliation in the best sense," he says. "It can make somebody very bitter and very hard and closed off, but I find it does the opposite to me."
Things took a turn for the worse following Penn's split from Wright: less than one year later, their son Hopper, 19, was involved in a serious skateboarding accident. (The pair are also parents to daughter Dylan, 21.)
"It had already been eight months of divorce and s--t, and raising a kid that's going through the divorce himself, and then this f---ing thing happens . . . it was a tough, tough time," Penn confesses.
When everything else in his life felt bleak, the actor says his Haiti activism helped put things -- including his heartbreak and his son's accident -- into perspective.
"The road started with the most obvious kind of trauma -- my son's head -- and then to get to a place that had been just so devastated and traumatized, and then to see that in fact most of the trauma actually predated the earthquake," the founder of J/P Haitian Relief Organization shares. "You had a country that had never experienced anything that related to comfort, and out of that you had great trauma -- but also this great strength that, I think, we all benefited from."
MORE FROM ESQUIRE:
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
Julianne Hough, Victoria Beckham, and Nicole Scherzinger all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Jennifer Lopez, Salma Hayek, and Sharon Stone all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Lindsay Lohan, Cara Delevingne, and Rita Ora all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Gisele Bundchen, Alessandra Ambrosio and more models share sweet snaps with their kids, hosted by Wonderwall correspondent Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
All Grown Up
Nick Jonas reveals how he celebrated his 22nd birthday on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Lea Michele, Megan Fox, and Kate Walsh all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTJLaw at iHeart
From Crowd Ignite