Shailene Woodley's alternative lifestyle: Actress makes her own medicine, toothpaste
- Photo: Dimitrios Kambouris/WireImage1 of 16
- Photo: shailenewoodley/Twitter2 of 16
- Photo: @Miles_Teller/Twitter3 of 16
- Photo: Richie Buxo/Splash News4 of 16
- Photo: Chris Pizzello/Invision/AP5 of 16
- Photo: Chris Pizzello/Invision/AP6 of 16
- Photo: Jamie McCarthy/Getty Images North America7 of 16
- Photo: Jack Dempsey/Invision/AP8 of 16
- Photo: Evan Agostini/Invision/AP9 of 16
- Photo: EGAF/Getty Images North America10 of 16
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage11 of 16
- Photo: Jason Merritt/WireImage12 of 16
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage13 of 16
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage14 of 16
- Photo: Ciao Hollywood/Splash News15 of 16
More Celeb News
- Exclusive Enlisted Sneak Peek: The Hill Brothers Get Duped by Sneaky Army VetsMSNEntertainment 3/12/2014 1:02:00 PM
- Richard Linklater to Receive Founder's Directing Award from San Francisco Film FestivalMSNEntertainment 3/12/2014 1:00:00 PM
- George Zimmerman's Parents Sue Roseanne Barr, Say She Sent 'Lynch Mob' AfMSNEntertainment 3/12/2014 12:53:00 PM
- 'Bates Motel' Star Olivia Cooke in Talks for Lead in 'Me & Earl &MSNEntertainment 3/12/2014 12:30:00 PM
- 11 Best and Worst Moments From 'The Voice' Final Blind AuditionsMSNEntertainment 3/12/2014 12:21:00 PM
- Exclusive Enlisted Sneak Peek: The Hill Brothers Get Duped by Sneaky Army Vets
Shailene Woodley certainly isn't letting Hollywood get to her head! Since starring on the 2008 TV series "The Secret Life of the American Teenager," the 21-year-old actress' career has skyrocketed. Even after landing a supporting role (and rave reviews) opposite George Clooney in the Oscar-winning 2011 film "The Descendants," she's managed to stay very, very grounded. In the new issue of Flaunt magazine, Woodley reveals that her lifestyle is way more down-to-earth than red carpet glam.
"I think everything about my lifestyle is fairly alternative. I gather my own spring water from mountains every month. I go to a farm to get my food. I make everything from my own toothpaste to my own body lotions and face oils. I could go on for hours," she says. "I make my own medicines; I don't get those from doctors. I make my own cheese and forage wild foods and identify wild plants. It's an entire lifestyle. It's appealing to my soul."
The "Spectacular Now" actress frequently tweets about her discoveries in nature. On Aug. 14, she wrote, "So much medicine on this mornings walk. #roses #fruitingfigtrees #puppysongs #bees #sunshine." The previous week she shared one of her homemade meals, tweeting, "Kabocha squash, sea asparagus, parsley, home made pesto. #simple #nourishing #grateful."
Woodley made a name for herself after playing a 15-year-old high school student who discovers she's pregnant on ABC Family's "The Secret Life of the American Teenager." The series came to an end after five seasons in June 2013, and Woodley tells Flaunt she was happy to be free from it.
"I didn't like it because if it started to change, I had no control over it," she explains. "It's like anything in life, whether you're an actor or you work in an insurance office, if you want to be able to leave your job, it's nice to be able to leave your job. But when you're in a contract, unfortunately, you can't do that."
But Woodley adds, "I'm extremely grateful for it; it was a fantastic five years of my life, but towards the end, morally, the things that we were preaching on that show weren't really aligned with my own integrity," she says, without sharing specifics. (The series dealt with controversial issues regarding teen pregnancy.) "So that was a bit hard to show up to work every day knowing that we were going to project all of these themes to thousands -- millions -- of young adults across the country, when in fact they weren't what I would like to be sending out."
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
From Brad Pitt to Ian Somerhalder, see some of Hollywood's sexiest vampires.Watch Video »
Where are they?
See where the cast of "Cruel Intentions" is today.Watch Video »
From Kim Kardashian to Paris Hilton, see which stars have the most expensive engagement bling.Watch Video »
Rihanna, Katy Perry, and Heidi Klum all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Find out what Oscar winners Jared Leto and Lupita Nyong’o have been up to since the Academy Awards on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Check out Sandra Bullock's fabulous and colorful style.Watch Video »
From Crowd Ignite