Shia LaBeouf's Dad sold weed to the Hawaiian mafiaRelated: Celeb Gloss, Shia LaBeouf
- Photo: Parade1 of 3
- Photo: Matt Jones/Parade2 of 3
More Celeb News
- Cannes: Magnolia Acquires Kurt Russell Western 'Bone Tomahawk'MSNEntertainment 5/19/2013 3:03:43 PM
- Bill Hader on 'SNL': Wacky, Tacky Wedding Farewell (Video) MSNEntertainment 5/19/2013 1:55:41 PM
- The Weinstein Company Checks Into 'Suite Francaise' With Michelle WilliamsMSNEntertainment 5/19/2013 1:53:24 PM
- Wrekin Hill Acquires U.S. Rights to John Malkovich Movie 'Siberian Education'MSNEntertainment 5/19/2013 1:34:32 PM
- 'Senna' Director Asif Kapadia to Direct Love Story 'Ali and Nino&aposMSNEntertainment 5/19/2013 1:11:10 PM
- Cannes: Magnolia Acquires Kurt Russell Western 'Bone Tomahawk'
In the upcoming issue of PARADE, Shia LaBeouf opens up about his troubles with fame, alcohol and losing the love of his life. In the online exclusive, Shia talks more about his unusual childhood, including his father's marijuana side business in Hawaii, his family's money problems and more. Check out these intriguing excerpts below, then read the full story here.
Shia's dad, the pot entrepreneur:
"My dad was a Vietnam vet. He was in Vietnam long enough to come back and be a disaster. My dad brought something called the 'elephant seed' to Oahu, Hawaii. And in Oahu, it became the 'Thai' stick. But how do you make millions on weed when you don't own a plant? Nobody owns a plant. Well, my dad wasn't thinking franchise. He was selling things to the Hawaiian mafia, and then they would give it to their cab drivers to sell when they picked people up from airports."
We're not entirely sure what Shia is saying here, but it seems like the gist of it is that his dad sold joints to the Hawaiian mafia. Aloha, Mr. LaBeouf!
Growing up in a family of starving artists:
"My dad and my mom were both artists who never found an audience for their artwork. And so I lived in poverty. Now that I'm not poor, I know that is what it was. Like Hemingway said, you can't write anything if you've never been shot at or been gorged by a bull, you know? So I look back at that stuff and I'm grateful. It's like scars. You become proud of them."
So, does Shia pull out the old "I lived an impoverished childhood" line every time he meets a new hot girl? Probably. Chicks totally dig that.
Shia as a 10-year-old insult comic:
"I just knew that money was a solution to whatever the hell was going on in my household. With money, I and my family would have had more options. So I went after a job that I thought I could make the most money for a 10-year-old or an 11-year-old boy. I started doing stand-up at this place called the HBO Theater. And then the Ice House let me come in, and Baked Potato. I'd get up there and go, 'Hey, m--f--! It's time for some jokes.' And all the drunks would be like, 'Hey, wait a minute. This is weird as hell! What's this 10-year-old talking about?' Plus at the Ice House, where they would normally serve drinks during the show, they had to hold the drunks' drinks while I was performing, which they didn't like, so you're already starting off on a bad foot. So I would just attack them. I would come at guys, like, 'What's going on with you in your life, man?' I would just break a whole guy's life down. 'He's a 50-year-old man at a comedy club by himself?' There are so many jokes there, sad, weird, twisted stuff. And everybody would laugh at it, and that guy would hate it. I was like an insult comic."
Paging Triumph the Insult Dog: Shia's been digging some holes in your turf, dawg.
More on Parade.com:
More on Wonderwall:
- What's Sexy?Heidi Klum hangs with two comedy legends and shares what she finds most sexy in a man on today's Celebs Gone Social ...Watch Video »
- Sexy SecretsVictoria's Secret model Adriana Lima talks about the What's Sexy list, her model friends and more with Wonderwall.Watch Video »
- American TravelsGet the Prince's travel details on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
- Birthday GirlTori Spelling turns 40, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- Fashion OffendersFlorence Welch, Zoe Saldana, and Ali Larter all get an F on this week's Fashion OffendersWatch Video »
- Bikini BurnsFrom Kim Kardashian to Jessica Alba, see the worst celeb sunburns.Watch Video »
- Double TroubleFrom the Olsens to the Mowrys, see some of Hollywood's most famous twins.Watch Video »
- Roasted?Lindsay Lohan refuses to be roasted, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- Beach WorkoutsFrom Julianne Hough to Alessandra Ambrosio, see celebs who get their fitness on in the sand.Watch Video »
- Miley's MusicMiley Cyrus mixes music and fashion while ignoring her relationship status, on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
- Royal AdviceSnooki gives Prince Harry some advice, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- Country CutiesCheck out the hottest couples in country music.Watch Video »
- Queen's FeastBeyonce had a major feast in Dublin, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- Bump DebutSelena Gomez breaks some pregnancy news on Twitter on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
- Crazy QuotesCheck out some of Gwyneth Paltrow's craziest quotes.Watch Video »
- Beers With BieberJustin Bieber shares photos of his beer-drinking safari on social media on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
- Missing Miley?Get the scoop on the newest breakup rumors on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
- Visiting U.S.Prince Harry is visiting the United States again, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- Fashion OffendersMiranda Kerr, Katy Perry, and Bjork all get an F on this week's Fashion OffendersWatch Video »
- Wants PrivacySelena Gomez doesn't like everyone knowing about her relationship with Justin Bieber, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders.Watch Video »
- Baby FaceCheck out the first pic of Malin Akerman's son -- a closeup of his adorable face -- on today's Celebs Gone Social ...Watch Video »
From Videos of Wonderwall
From MSN Entertainment
From Crowd Ignite