'Shrek' Spinoff 'Puss in Boots' Tops Box Office
- Photo: Daniel Tanner/WENN1 of 14
- Photo: Sara De Boer/StarTraks2 of 14
- Photo: Daniel Tanner/WENN3 of 14
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage.com4 of 14
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage.com5 of 14
- Photo: Demis Maryannakis/Pacific Coast News6 of 14
- Photo: Amanda Schwab/StarTraks7 of 14
- Photo: Thomas Janssen/Pacific Coast News8 of 14
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage.com9 of 14
- Photo: JLC/ZOJ/WENN10 of 14
- Photo: Theo Wargo/WireImage.com11 of 14
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage.com12 of 14
- Photo: Splash News13 of 14
More Celeb News
- NBC Promotes Jenny Groom to Senior Vice President, Alternative Programming and DevelopmentMSNEntertainment 8/27/2014 4:31:00 PM
- Bryan Singer Accuser Michael Egan Drops Sex Abuse LawsuitMSNEntertainment 8/27/2014 3:40:00 PM
- Pivot Network Now Available on College Streaming Service PhiloMSNEntertainment 8/27/2014 3:31:00 PM
- 'Pretty Little Liars' Summer Finale Attracts 2.3 Million ViewersMSNEntertainment 8/27/2014 3:14:00 PM
- Chiller 'As Above, So Below' Tries to Put Scare Into 'Guardians'MSNEntertainment 8/27/2014 2:53:00 PM
- NBC Promotes Jenny Groom to Senior Vice President, Alternative Programming and Development
NEW YORK (AP) -- The "Shrek" spinoff "Puss in Boots" landed on all fours, opening with an estimated $34 million to top the box office.
RELATED: Madonna launches model search
The DreamWorks 3-D animated film, distributed by Paramount Pictures, proved the popular character voiced by Antonio Banderas was a big enough draw outside of the "Shrek" franchise. The PG-rated "Puss in Boots" scored with family audiences on the weekend before Halloween.
RELATED: Celebrities dress up for Halloween
Paramount was also able to claim the weekend's second top performing more with the low-budget horror flick "Paranormal Activity 3." That film took in $18.5 million in its second week of release, bringing its cumulative total to $81.3 million.
RELATED: Stars hit the pumpkin patches
"The Rum Diary," the Hunter S. Thompson adaption starring Johnny Depp, opened weakly, earning just $5 million.
Get the scoop on Bradley Bayou's dress design that Oprah wore to the Emmy Awards.Watch Video »
Beyonce does her best to prove that her family life is just perfect on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
The guys from Rascal Flatts talk with Wonderwall editor Jessica Herndon about life on tour, crazy fan encounters and more.Watch Video »
Jennifer Lopez reunites with Casper Smart, plus more famous friendly exes on Replay, hosted by Wonderwall's Jessica Wedemeyer.Watch Video »
Check out Kaley Cuoco's cutest canine-centric posts on social media on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Golden Globe Style
Cojo predicts the trends for the 2010 Golden Globes.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTPup Power
From Crowd Ignite