Sir Ian McKellen has prostate cancer
- Photo: Evan Agostini/Wonderwall1 of 8
- Photo: Jonathan Drake/Invision/AP2 of 8
- Photo: REED SAXON/Invision/AP3 of 8
- Photo: Optic Photos/Pacific Coast News4 of 8
- Photo: Ferdaus Shamim/WireImage5 of 8
- Photo: WENN6 of 8
- Photo: Craig Barritt/Retna Digital7 of 8
More Celeb News
- Police have warrant in attempted Banksy theftMSNEntertainment 3/8/2014 2:54:20 PM
- REPORT: Christian Bale is Going to be a Dad AgainMSNEntertainment 3/8/2014 2:12:00 PM
- Nate Silver's FiveThirtyEight.Com Re-Launching This MonthMSNEntertainment 3/8/2014 1:41:00 PM
- 'Nymphomaniac' Reviews: Is Lars von Triers' Latest Sexy or Stupid?MSNEntertainment 3/8/2014 1:15:00 PM
- Sheila MacRae of 'The Honeymooners' dies at 92MSNEntertainment 3/8/2014 11:56:31 AM
- Police have warrant in attempted Banksy theft
Veteran actor Sir Ian McKellen has revealed he has been fighting prostate cancer "for six or seven years."
The "Lord of the Rings" icon feared the worst when a biopsy discovered cancerous cells, but the 73-year-old Brit has not undergone treatment for the disease and instead has regular tests to ensure it hasn't spread.
He tells Britain's Daily Mirror, "You do gulp when you hear the news. It's like when you go for an HIV test, you go, 'Argh, is this the end of the road?' They say you have cancer of the prostate, and then that you can have it zapped.
"You can have it snipped, but you are not a candidate for that. You are 'waitful watching.' I've had it for six or seven years, when you have got it, you monitor it and you have to be careful it doesn't spread. But if it is contained in the prostate, it's no big deal.
"Many, many men die from it, but it's one of the cancers that is totally treatable. ... I am examined regularly and it's just contained, it's not spreading. I've not had any treatment.
"You are told what the situation is: You can have an operation, but there is no point me having an operation because there is no need for it. They are concerned about the cancer spreading outside the prostate. If it doesn't you are fine. How do you know if it is spreading? You keep being tested."
And despite cloudy vision and a hearing problem, Sir Ian insists he still feels "absolutely fine," thanks to regular exercise.
He adds, "I just got hearing aids, I am going to have a cataract removed from my eyes, I am having an implant in my mouth, I am dealing with the prostate ... [But] I am absolutely fine, thank you very much!
"I am lucky, I don't have aches and pains. I do Pilates regularly, which is a series of stretching exercises, and I recommend it to anyone of my age because the temptation is not to exercise when you get older. Well, you should. I always walk up the escalator on the Tube, and I live in a house with a lot of stairs. That's good exercise, but you need more.
"The wonderful thing about modern medicine is that so many of these complaints that used to signify old age and decline can be coped with."
Rihanna, Katy Perry, and Heidi Klum all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
From Mila Kunis to Mary-Kate Olsen, get the scoop on all the engagements in Hollywood on Replay.Watch Video »
Sarah Michelle Gellar talks to Wonderwall's Chris Gardner about "terrifying" paparazzi, growing veggies with her daughter, why she never went to rehab.Watch Video »
From Katy Perry and John Mayer to Paula Patton and Robin Thicke, get the scoop on all the breakups in Hollywood.Watch Video »
Where are they?
See where the cast of "Cruel Intentions" is today.Watch Video »
The Rock flexes massive muscle while getting sentimental on Celebs Gone Social hosted by Wonderwall editor Chris Gardner.Watch Video »
From Crowd Ignite