Sir Ian McKellen has prostate cancer
- Photo: Evan Agostini/Wonderwall1 of 8
- Photo: Jonathan Drake/Invision/AP2 of 8
- Photo: REED SAXON/Invision/AP3 of 8
- Photo: Optic Photos/Pacific Coast News4 of 8
- Photo: Ferdaus Shamim/WireImage5 of 8
- Photo: WENN6 of 8
- Photo: Craig Barritt/Retna Digital7 of 8
More Celeb News
- 'The Strain' Review: Del Toro Makes Reinventing Vampires Look EasyMSNEntertainment 7/13/2014 2:19:00 PM
- Does Katherine Heigl Regret Leaving Grey's Anatomy? MSNEntertainment 7/13/2014 12:59:00 PM
- World Cup: Germany, Argentina Scoreless After First Half in FinalMSNEntertainment 7/13/2014 12:50:00 PM
- Katherine Heigl Addresses Whether She's Difficult, After Some DifficultyMSNEntertainment 7/13/2014 12:50:00 PM
- NBC Execs Talk Cosby, 'Hannibal,' and Not Griping About EmmysMSNEntertainment 7/13/2014 11:50:00 AM
- 'The Strain' Review: Del Toro Makes Reinventing Vampires Look Easy
Veteran actor Sir Ian McKellen has revealed he has been fighting prostate cancer "for six or seven years."
The "Lord of the Rings" icon feared the worst when a biopsy discovered cancerous cells, but the 73-year-old Brit has not undergone treatment for the disease and instead has regular tests to ensure it hasn't spread.
He tells Britain's Daily Mirror, "You do gulp when you hear the news. It's like when you go for an HIV test, you go, 'Argh, is this the end of the road?' They say you have cancer of the prostate, and then that you can have it zapped.
"You can have it snipped, but you are not a candidate for that. You are 'waitful watching.' I've had it for six or seven years, when you have got it, you monitor it and you have to be careful it doesn't spread. But if it is contained in the prostate, it's no big deal.
"Many, many men die from it, but it's one of the cancers that is totally treatable. ... I am examined regularly and it's just contained, it's not spreading. I've not had any treatment.
"You are told what the situation is: You can have an operation, but there is no point me having an operation because there is no need for it. They are concerned about the cancer spreading outside the prostate. If it doesn't you are fine. How do you know if it is spreading? You keep being tested."
And despite cloudy vision and a hearing problem, Sir Ian insists he still feels "absolutely fine," thanks to regular exercise.
He adds, "I just got hearing aids, I am going to have a cataract removed from my eyes, I am having an implant in my mouth, I am dealing with the prostate ... [But] I am absolutely fine, thank you very much!
"I am lucky, I don't have aches and pains. I do Pilates regularly, which is a series of stretching exercises, and I recommend it to anyone of my age because the temptation is not to exercise when you get older. Well, you should. I always walk up the escalator on the Tube, and I live in a house with a lot of stairs. That's good exercise, but you need more.
"The wonderful thing about modern medicine is that so many of these complaints that used to signify old age and decline can be coped with."
See some of the many revealing looks that Kim Kardashian has donned recently.Watch Video »
From Sofia Vergara to Zac Efron, check out who's coupling up on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Kesha's New Looks
See how Kesha's looks have changed since Rehab.Watch Video »
Check out some of the cutest celeb baby bumps hitting the beach this summer.Watch Video »
Get the scoop about the troubled star on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Check out Justin Timberlake, Kristen Bell and more stars enjoying summery activities -- from golf and tennis to romps on the beach and more!Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTDad Duty
From Crowd Ignite