Stephen Baldwin's lawyer: Accountants 'let him down'
- Photo: Jim Spellman/WireImage1 of 8
- Photo: Harry Pluviose/Retna Ltd.2 of 8
- Photo: Rockland County District Attorney’s Office/.3 of 8
- Photo: DCA/WENN4 of 8
- Photo: Aaron Crisler/Retna Ltd.5 of 8
- Photo: Matt Sayles/Invision/AP6 of 8
- Photo: WENN7 of 8
More Celeb News
- 'Beyond the Lights' Review: Gugu Mbatha-Raw Portrays Divadom With Honesty and CompMSNEntertainment 9/19/2014 4:42:00 PM
- BuzzFeed Taps Andrew Gauthier to Lead Video DivisionMSNEntertainment 9/19/2014 4:25:00 PM
- Roger Goodell Won't Resign From NFL, But Promises Conduct Policy ChangesMSNEntertainment 9/19/2014 3:29:00 PM
- HBO Suspends Pre-Production of Brian De Palma's Penn State Molestation Film 'To DeMSNEntertainment 9/19/2014 2:28:00 PM
- Dancing's Derek Hough: We Have Something "Potentially Dangerous" PlannedMSNEntertainment 9/19/2014 2:28:00 PM
- 'Beyond the Lights' Review: Gugu Mbatha-Raw Portrays Divadom With Honesty and Comp
Stephen Baldwin's lawyer has blamed the actor's accountants for failing to take care of his tax payments, following his arrest in New York on Thursday.
RELATED: Lindsay Lohan's deep debt to the IRS
The actor was briefly detained over charges of felony tax evasion after allegedly failing to settle his $350,000 debt dating back to 2008, but his legal adviser Russell Yankwitt insists Baldwin left the responsibility of paying taxes to professionals as he worked on his career, which included a stint on "Survivor."
Yankwitt says, "For one of the years in question, Mr. Baldwin was sequestered on an island when he was on 'Survivor.' Each year in question there was a mitigating circumstance, whether he was on the island or traveling around trying to reignite his movie career."
The lawyer adds, "Those people let him down. He never intended to deceive anybody."
Baldwin, who filed for bankruptcy in 2009, pleaded not guilty to the charges during his court arraignment on Thursday and handed over a check for $100,000 as a "good faith" down payment on the money owed.
Yankwitt also confirmed the arrest and arraignment had been part of a pre-arranged agreement with state officials, a claim Stephen's brother Alec Baldwin made during a CNN interview on Thursday night.
The "30 Rock" star also told newsman Piers Morgan he was not happy with the way his brother had been dragged "through that mud" as he was taken into custody.
Stephen Baldwin has been ordered to appear in court in February to face the counts against him.
RELATED: Alec Baldwin's $1 million donation
Get out the vote
Check out some of Alessandra's hottest vacation photos from the summer.Watch Video »
Royal Beach Bods
Check out the hottest royals enjoying their beach vacations.Watch Video »
Beyonce is Hot
Check out Beyonce's all-time sexiest looks.Watch Video »
Jennifer Lopez, Salma Hayek, and Sharon Stone all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Gisele Bundchen, Alessandra Ambrosio and more models share sweet snaps with their kids, hosted by Wonderwall correspondent Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
From Rihanna to Lady Gaga, scope out the worst dressed A-listers at Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week, Spring/ Summer 2015!Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTBirthday Fun
From Crowd Ignite