Stephen Baldwin's lawyer: Accountants 'let him down'
- Photo: Jim Spellman/WireImage1 of 8
- Photo: Harry Pluviose/Retna Ltd.2 of 8
- Photo: Rockland County District Attorney’s Office/.3 of 8
- Photo: DCA/WENN4 of 8
- Photo: Aaron Crisler/Retna Ltd.5 of 8
- Photo: Matt Sayles/Invision/AP6 of 8
- Photo: WENN7 of 8
More Celeb News
- 'Captain America' and 'Rio 2' Battle for No. 1 at Box Office AftMSNEntertainment 4/19/2014 8:42:00 AM
- 'Transcendence' Tanks for Johnny Depp's 4th Box-Office Flop in RowMSNEntertainment 4/19/2014 7:59:00 AM
- First Lady Michelle Obama to Appear on NashvilleMSNEntertainment 4/19/2014 7:54:00 AM
- Hawaii Five-0's Alex O'Loughlin MarriesMSNEntertainment 4/19/2014 7:54:00 AM
- Report: Gwen Stefani Replacing Christina Aguilera on The Voice for Season 7MSNEntertainment 4/19/2014 7:48:00 AM
- 'Captain America' and 'Rio 2' Battle for No. 1 at Box Office Aft
Stephen Baldwin's lawyer has blamed the actor's accountants for failing to take care of his tax payments, following his arrest in New York on Thursday.
RELATED: Lindsay Lohan's deep debt to the IRS
The actor was briefly detained over charges of felony tax evasion after allegedly failing to settle his $350,000 debt dating back to 2008, but his legal adviser Russell Yankwitt insists Baldwin left the responsibility of paying taxes to professionals as he worked on his career, which included a stint on "Survivor."
Yankwitt says, "For one of the years in question, Mr. Baldwin was sequestered on an island when he was on 'Survivor.' Each year in question there was a mitigating circumstance, whether he was on the island or traveling around trying to reignite his movie career."
The lawyer adds, "Those people let him down. He never intended to deceive anybody."
Baldwin, who filed for bankruptcy in 2009, pleaded not guilty to the charges during his court arraignment on Thursday and handed over a check for $100,000 as a "good faith" down payment on the money owed.
Yankwitt also confirmed the arrest and arraignment had been part of a pre-arranged agreement with state officials, a claim Stephen's brother Alec Baldwin made during a CNN interview on Thursday night.
The "30 Rock" star also told newsman Piers Morgan he was not happy with the way his brother had been dragged "through that mud" as he was taken into custody.
Stephen Baldwin has been ordered to appear in court in February to face the counts against him.
RELATED: Alec Baldwin's $1 million donation
Kim Kardashian, Emma Stone, and Solange Knowles all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Victoria Beckham, Rosie Huntington-Whiteley and Melissa Joan Hart toast their birthdays on today's Celebs Gone Social hosted by Wonderwall editor Chris Gardner.Watch Video »
Lindsay Lohan, Lena Dunham, and Anne Hathaway all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Shemar Moore shouts out all his “baby girls” and shows off his impressive shirtless body on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Lady Gaga, Katy Perry, and Rita Ora all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Kim Kardashian, Kristin Davis, and Emma Stone all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
From Crowd Ignite