Tom Cruise drops defamation lawsuit after reaching settlement
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage1 of 8
- Photo: Masatoshi Okauchi/Rex USA2 of 8
- Photo: John Shearer/Invision/AP3 of 8
- Photo: PK / Persona / CapitalPictures //Retna Ltd.4 of 8
- Photo: Matt Sayles/Invision/AP5 of 8
- Photo: Splash News6 of 8
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage7 of 8
More Celeb News
- BuzzFeed Taps Andrew Gauthier to Lead Video DivisionMSNEntertainment 9/19/2014 4:25:00 PM
- Roger Goodell Won't Resign From NFL, But Promises Conduct Policy ChangesMSNEntertainment 9/19/2014 3:29:00 PM
- HBO Suspends Pre-Production of Brian De Palma's Penn State Molestation Film 'To DeMSNEntertainment 9/19/2014 2:28:00 PM
- Dancing's Derek Hough: We Have Something "Potentially Dangerous" PlannedMSNEntertainment 9/19/2014 2:28:00 PM
- Jim Carrey to Host 'Saturday Night Live' Early This Season (Exclusive)MSNEntertainment 9/19/2014 1:34:00 PM
- BuzzFeed Taps Andrew Gauthier to Lead Video Division
By email@example.com (WENN Newsdesk)
Tom Cruise has avoided going to trial with bosses at In Touch and Life & Style magazines after reaching a settlement over his $50 million defamation lawsuit.
The "Mission: Impossible" star launched legal action against owners at Bauer Media Group in November over the magazines' 2012 suggestions that he had "abandoned" his daughter Suri following his divorce from actress Katie Holmes last year.
At the time of the filing, his attorney Bert Fields said, "Tom doesn't go around suing people. He's not a litigious guy. But when these sleaze peddlers try to make money with disgusting lies about his relationship with his child, you bet he's going to sue."
RELATED: Tom Cruise's highs and lows
Cruise's lengthy deposition made waves as personal details about his private life were revealed, including his admission that his devotion to Scientology had been "one of" the reasons behind his split from Holmes.
The case was set to go to trial, but Cruise has since managed to resolve the dispute and papers for a lawsuit dismissal were filed in California federal court on Friday.
The terms of the settlement are confidential, although each party will be responsible for its own legal costs, according to The Hollywood Reporter.
Beyonce is Hot
Check out Beyonce's all-time sexiest looks.Watch Video »
Royal Beach Bods
Check out the hottest royals enjoying their beach vacations.Watch Video »
From Rihanna to Lady Gaga, scope out the worst dressed A-listers at Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week, Spring/ Summer 2015!Watch Video »
Jennifer Lopez, Salma Hayek, and Sharon Stone all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Check out some of Alessandra's hottest vacation photos from the summer.Watch Video »
From Carrie Underwood to Duchess Kate; get the pregnancy scoop on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTGorgeous Gwen
From Crowd Ignite