Tom Cruise's Attorney Threatens to Sue Over Tabloid Cover Story
- Photo: DDAA/ZOB/WENN1 of 18
- Photo: JAXN/GSI2 of 18
- Photo: James Devaney/WireImage3 of 18
- Photo: Gregg DeGuire/WireImage4 of 18
- Photo: James Devaney/WireImage5 of 18
- Photo: SGranitz/WireImage6 of 18
- Photo: RG4/WENN7 of 18
- Photo: Tom Belcher/Capital Pictures/Retna Ltd.8 of 18
- Photo: Christopher Smith/Retna Ltd.9 of 18
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage10 of 18
- Photo: James Devaney/WireImage11 of 18
- Photo: John Shearer/WireImage12 of 18
- Photo: James Devaney/WireImage13 of 18
- Photo: Matt Sayles/Invision/AP14 of 18
- Photo: Kathy Willens/Invision/AP15 of 18
- Photo: Matt Sayles/Invision/AP16 of 18
- Photo: Danny Moloshok/Invision/AP17 of 18
More Celeb News
- YouTube Will Invest in Original Content From Top Video CreatorsMSNEntertainment 9/19/2014 10:43:00 AM
- Angelina Jolie to Direct Poacher Drama 'Africa'MSNEntertainment 9/19/2014 10:43:00 AM
- 'The View' Women May Have Set a Record for Saying 'Vagina' in OnMSNEntertainment 9/19/2014 10:42:00 AM
- 'Saved by the Bell' Movie's Taylor Russell Books Recurring Role on TNT&amMSNEntertainment 9/19/2014 10:00:00 AM
- Celebrate 'Talk Like a Pirate Day' With Historical Doc 'Last Hijack&aMSNEntertainment 9/19/2014 9:53:00 AM
- YouTube Will Invest in Original Content From Top Video Creators
Tom Cruise's attorney has threatened to sue the publishers of the National Enquirer tabloid over a new cover story suggesting the movie star subjected his newly estranged wife, Katie Holmes, to abuse and humiliation during their five-year marriage.
The article, headlined "Inside Tom's House of Horrors!" hit newsstands on Wednesday, and it details Holmes' alleged "secret breakdown" and her "tortured life" with the actor at their Beverly Hills, Calif., mansion.
Cruise's longtime legal representative Bert Fields has fired off a blistering cease-and-desist letter to bosses at American Media, the Enquirer's parent company, calling the headline-grabbing article "disgraceful and lurid."
The note, obtained by The Hollywood Reporter, reads: "Your cover announces, as a fact, that 'THE REAL TOM CRUISE IS A MONSTER.' Mr. Cruise is certainly not a 'monster.' He is a caring father, a hardworking actor and, above all, an honest, decent man."
Fields claims the fabricated article will cost Cruise "hundreds of millions of dollars of professional and personal damages" and is demanding editors retract the "disgusting lies" immediately, or face a costly and lengthy lawsuit.
Cruise and Holmes reached a divorce settlement on Monday, less than two weeks after the actress filed papers to end their marriage.
She has since moved into an apartment in New York with their 6-year-old daughter, Suri, while Cruise has thrown himself into his work, shooting his next film, "Oblivion," in California.
Beyonce is Hot
Check out Beyonce's all-time sexiest looks.Watch Video »
From Rihanna to Lady Gaga, scope out the worst dressed A-listers at Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week, Spring/ Summer 2015!Watch Video »
Check out some of Alessandra's hottest vacation photos from the summer.Watch Video »
Royal Beach Bods
Check out the hottest royals enjoying their beach vacations.Watch Video »
Jennifer Lopez, Salma Hayek, and Sharon Stone all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
From Carrie Underwood to Duchess Kate; get the pregnancy scoop on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTGorgeous Gwen
From Crowd Ignite