Tom Cruise's Attorney Threatens to Sue Over Tabloid Cover Story
- Photo: DDAA/ZOB/WENN1 of 18
- Photo: JAXN/GSI2 of 18
- Photo: James Devaney/WireImage3 of 18
- Photo: Gregg DeGuire/WireImage4 of 18
- Photo: James Devaney/WireImage5 of 18
- Photo: SGranitz/WireImage6 of 18
- Photo: RG4/WENN7 of 18
- Photo: Tom Belcher/Capital Pictures/Retna Ltd.8 of 18
- Photo: Christopher Smith/Retna Ltd.9 of 18
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage10 of 18
- Photo: James Devaney/WireImage11 of 18
- Photo: John Shearer/WireImage12 of 18
- Photo: James Devaney/WireImage13 of 18
- Photo: Matt Sayles/Invision/AP14 of 18
- Photo: Kathy Willens/Invision/AP15 of 18
- Photo: Matt Sayles/Invision/AP16 of 18
- Photo: Danny Moloshok/Invision/AP17 of 18
More Celeb News
- VIDEO: Check Out a Clip from The Killing Season 4MSNEntertainment 7/29/2014 6:14:00 AM
- Mark Ballas and Derek Hough Try Flipping Houses in 'Mark & Derek's ExcelleMSNEntertainment 7/28/2014 10:00:00 PM
- Judge Approves Los Angeles Clippers Sale to Steve Ballmer, Regardless of AppealMSNEntertainment 7/28/2014 7:50:00 PM
- Fan Who Threatened Michael Strahan Claims His Lawyer Is Part of the IlluminatiMSNEntertainment 7/28/2014 7:26:00 PM
- The Bachelorette Finale: Who Did Andi Choose?MSNEntertainment 7/28/2014 7:05:00 PM
- VIDEO: Check Out a Clip from The Killing Season 4
Tom Cruise's attorney has threatened to sue the publishers of the National Enquirer tabloid over a new cover story suggesting the movie star subjected his newly estranged wife, Katie Holmes, to abuse and humiliation during their five-year marriage.
The article, headlined "Inside Tom's House of Horrors!" hit newsstands on Wednesday, and it details Holmes' alleged "secret breakdown" and her "tortured life" with the actor at their Beverly Hills, Calif., mansion.
Cruise's longtime legal representative Bert Fields has fired off a blistering cease-and-desist letter to bosses at American Media, the Enquirer's parent company, calling the headline-grabbing article "disgraceful and lurid."
The note, obtained by The Hollywood Reporter, reads: "Your cover announces, as a fact, that 'THE REAL TOM CRUISE IS A MONSTER.' Mr. Cruise is certainly not a 'monster.' He is a caring father, a hardworking actor and, above all, an honest, decent man."
Fields claims the fabricated article will cost Cruise "hundreds of millions of dollars of professional and personal damages" and is demanding editors retract the "disgusting lies" immediately, or face a costly and lengthy lawsuit.
Cruise and Holmes reached a divorce settlement on Monday, less than two weeks after the actress filed papers to end their marriage.
She has since moved into an apartment in New York with their 6-year-old daughter, Suri, while Cruise has thrown himself into his work, shooting his next film, "Oblivion," in California.
Joe Manganiello parties with new love Sofia Vergara and her family in Miami on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Find out which stars attended Jennifer Lopez's birthday celebration on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Where'd He Go?
Find out what happened to the stars of 'Garden State' after they made the hit indie film.Watch Video »
Where Are They?
It's been 20 years since "Jurassic Park" came out. See what the cast of the movie is up to these days.Watch Video »
Selena Gomez, Zoe Saldana, and Maggie Gyllenhaal all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Cameron Diaz, Rumer Willis, and Ellie Goulding all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTWeek in Photos
From Crowd Ignite