Tom Cruise's former publicist: I talked to him about 'cooling it' with Scientology talk
- Photo: ACN/WENN1 of 6
- Photo: Gregg DeGuire/WireImage2 of 6
- Photo: Masatoshi Okauchi/Rex USA3 of 6
- Photo: © Hitoshi Yamada / interTOPICS/Retna Ltd.4 of 6
- Photo: David Fisher/Rex USA5 of 6
More Celeb News
- Suits Midseason Finale: Where Does Louis Go From Here?MSNEntertainment 8/19/2014 5:00:00 PM
- Ray J Arraigned for Sexual Battery, Vandalism and Resisting ArrestMSNEntertainment 8/19/2014 4:59:00 PM
- Mark Wahlberg in Talks to Star in J.C. Chandor's 'Deepwater Horizon'MSNEntertainment 8/19/2014 4:49:00 PM
- 'The Gunfighter' Director Eric Kissack on How He Cast Nick Offerman: TheWrap&aMSNEntertainment 8/19/2014 4:06:00 PM
- Benedict Cumberbatch Joins WB's 'Jungle Book' as Voice of Shere KhanMSNEntertainment 8/19/2014 3:32:00 PM
- Suits Midseason Finale: Where Does Louis Go From Here?
Tom Cruise has been very vocal about his support for the Church of Scientology. Sometimes too vocal, according to his former publicist Pat Kingsley. In a new interview with the Hollywood Reporter, the 81-year-old PR legend says she once advised the Oblivion actor to tone down his talk about his religious beliefs.
"I did have that conversation with Tom, about cooling it," Kingsley says, recalling what she told him at the time: "'Scientology is fine. You want to do a tour for Scientology? Do a tour for Scientology. But Warner Bros. is sponsoring this tour.' That was for [2003's] 'The Last Samurai.' He didn't say yes or no, except he did not discuss Scientology on that European tour."
In general, THR notes, the star's religious beliefs didn't have much of an impact on his professional relationship with Kingsley until shortly before they parted ways. There had been only one "serious conflict" before with the Scientology reps, "but it was taken care of very early in the game," the veteran publicist notes.
"I felt that they were involved in a story that I was doing on Tom, and I said: 'It's not your story, it's Tom's. You have to step aside,'" she recalls. "And they did."
Kingsley, who worked with Cruise from the early 1990s until 2004, was once so close with him that they "could almost finish each other's sentence," she says. "We never really had a disagreement about direction or any particular interview. The trust became pretty complete on both sides."
She added: "We talked constantly. He was an insomniac. I liked the fact that he was so much fun. And he was so thoughtful. He remembered birthdays, my daughter's birthday. He came to her wedding; she was registered somewhere for the china, and he bought out everything."
In the end, she tells THR, he "wanted to be more personally involved" in the decisions about his career. They went their separate ways in March 2004 and have not seen each other since. But Kingsley has only good things to say about him. "Tom Cruise was a prince," she says.
RELATED ON WONDERWALL:
Check out Jessica Alba's baseball skills on today's Celebs Gone Social, hosted by Wonderwall Editor Jessica Wedemeyer.Watch Video »
Check out some of the most memorable Emmy fashion from over the years.Watch Video »
Check out the stars that spent the most on their weddings.Watch Video »
Hot and Cold
Watch Hilary Duff and more stars take the ice bucket challenge on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
From Kim Kardashian to Jessica Biel, see what your favorite celebs look like sans makeup.Watch Video »
From Kourtney Kardashian to Mila Kunis, check out some of the best chic maternity wear celebs are sporting this summer.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTSassy Single
From Crowd Ignite