Tom Hanks diagnosed with diabetes
- Photo: Russ Elliot/AdMedia/Retna Ltd.1 of 16
- Photo: JB Lacroix/WireImage2 of 16
- Photo: Joseph Marzullo/WENN3 of 16
- Photo: James Devaney/WireImage4 of 16
- Photo: George Pimentel/WireImage5 of 16
- Photo: Charles Sykes/Inivision/Invision/AP6 of 16
- Photo: FUTURE IMAGE/WireImage.com7 of 16
- Photo: Andrew Toth/StarTraks8 of 16
- Photo: Jason Merritt/WireImage9 of 16
- Photo: Invision/AP10 of 16
- Photo: @tomhanks/Twitter11 of 16
- Photo: Splash News/Splash News12 of 16
- Photo: Invision/AP13 of 16
- Photo: Evan Agostini/Invision/AP14 of 16
- Photo: Theo Wargo/WireImage15 of 16
More Celeb News
- Jon Stewart's 'Rosewater' Lands Prime Awards Season Release DateMSNEntertainment 7/31/2014 11:27:00 AM
- Casting Director Marion Dougherty to Receive Posthumous EmmyMSNEntertainment 7/31/2014 11:13:00 AM
- Spike Jonze to Guest Star on HBO's 'Girls'MSNEntertainment 7/31/2014 11:03:00 AM
- Hearst Grabs Principato-Young's Corey Moss to Make Web SeriesMSNEntertainment 7/31/2014 11:00:00 AM
- 'Gone Girl' Beauty Emily Ratajkowski Joins Zac Efron in 'We Are Your FrieMSNEntertainment 7/31/2014 10:57:00 AM
- Jon Stewart's 'Rosewater' Lands Prime Awards Season Release Date
Hollywood actor Tom Hanks is suffering from diabetes.
The "Philadelphia" star, 57, who has been dealing with high blood pressure since the age of 36, revealed he has been diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes. According to the American Diabetes Association, if you have Type 2 diabetes "your body does not use insulin properly." It's referred to as insulin resistance. Type 2 is the most common form of diabetes, the association says.
RELATED: WTAN: 'Sleepless in Seattle'
The star opened up about the condition on the "Late Show with David Letterman," saying, "I went to the doctors and they said, 'You know those high blood sugar numbers you've been living with since you were 36, well you've graduated, you've got Type 2 Diabetes young man.'"
RELATED: 2013 Tony Awards
The Oscar-winning actor has been advised to lose weight to help control the symptoms but believes he will struggle shedding the pounds, adding, ''Well it's controllable and through diet. My doctor said, 'If you can weigh what you weighed in high school, you'll essentially be completely healthy and not have Type 2 diabetes.' And I said, 'Well, I'm going to have Type 2 diabetes then.'"
On Tuesday, he posted on Twitter about his condition, writing, "Yep, I have #2 diabetes. Type 1 is VERY SERIOUS! Type 2 I can manage with good habits. I shall! Hanx."
Check out Jessica Alba, Reese Witherspoon, and more stars who recycle their wardrobes.Watch Video »
Selena Gomez, Zoe Saldana, and Maggie Gyllenhaal all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Britney Spears, Beyonce and more stars share their summer love on social media on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Where Are They?
It's been 20 years since "Jurassic Park" came out. See what the cast of the movie is up to these days.Watch Video »
Joe Manganiello parties with new love Sofia Vergara and her family in Miami on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Check out some of January Jones' most retro wardrobe choices from over the years.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTNew Look
From Crowd Ignite