Tom Hanks diagnosed with diabetes
- Photo: Russ Elliot/AdMedia/Retna Ltd.1 of 16
- Photo: JB Lacroix/WireImage2 of 16
- Photo: Joseph Marzullo/WENN3 of 16
- Photo: James Devaney/WireImage4 of 16
- Photo: George Pimentel/WireImage5 of 16
- Photo: Charles Sykes/Inivision/Invision/AP6 of 16
- Photo: FUTURE IMAGE/WireImage.com7 of 16
- Photo: Andrew Toth/StarTraks8 of 16
- Photo: Jason Merritt/WireImage9 of 16
- Photo: Invision/AP10 of 16
- Photo: @tomhanks/Twitter11 of 16
- Photo: Splash News/Splash News12 of 16
- Photo: Invision/AP13 of 16
- Photo: Evan Agostini/Invision/AP14 of 16
- Photo: Theo Wargo/WireImage15 of 16
More Celeb News
- 'Downton Abbey' Christmas Special Teaser: Shirley MacLaine and Paul Giamatti Are NMSNEntertainment 12/7/2013 11:07:03 AM
- '12 Years a Slave' Dominates Boston Online Critics AwardsMSNEntertainment 12/7/2013 10:37:11 AM
- 'Ellen' Actress Kate Williamson DeadMSNEntertainment 12/7/2013 10:34:46 AM
- Harry's South Pole race curtailed; trek goes onMSNEntertainment 12/7/2013 9:51:42 AM
- 'La Traviata' closes La Scala's Verdi bicentennialMSNEntertainment 12/7/2013 8:37:01 AM
- 'Downton Abbey' Christmas Special Teaser: Shirley MacLaine and Paul Giamatti Are N
Hollywood actor Tom Hanks is suffering from diabetes.
The "Philadelphia" star, 57, who has been dealing with high blood pressure since the age of 36, revealed he has been diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes. According to the American Diabetes Association, if you have Type 2 diabetes "your body does not use insulin properly." It's referred to as insulin resistance. Type 2 is the most common form of diabetes, the association says.
RELATED: WTAN: 'Sleepless in Seattle'
The star opened up about the condition on the "Late Show with David Letterman," saying, "I went to the doctors and they said, 'You know those high blood sugar numbers you've been living with since you were 36, well you've graduated, you've got Type 2 Diabetes young man.'"
RELATED: 2013 Tony Awards
The Oscar-winning actor has been advised to lose weight to help control the symptoms but believes he will struggle shedding the pounds, adding, ''Well it's controllable and through diet. My doctor said, 'If you can weigh what you weighed in high school, you'll essentially be completely healthy and not have Type 2 diabetes.' And I said, 'Well, I'm going to have Type 2 diabetes then.'"
On Tuesday, he posted on Twitter about his condition, writing, "Yep, I have #2 diabetes. Type 1 is VERY SERIOUS! Type 2 I can manage with good habits. I shall! Hanx."
Carrie Underwood tweets about her "Sound of Music" experience on today's Celebs Gone Social ...Watch Video »
Candace Cameron Bure talks to WW's Chris Gardner about "Full House" reruns, her famous brother and finding her purpose in life through faith.Watch Video »
From George and Sandra to Taylor and Ed, see more of Hollywood's platonic pairs.Watch Video »
Girls Night Out
It's a girls night out for celebs like Jennifer Lopez, Khloe Kardashian, Leah Remini, Brooklyn Decker, and more on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Katy Perry, Rosie Huntington-Whiteley, and Lady Gaga all get an F on this week's Fashion OffendersWatch Video »
See how Kim Kardashian, Fergie, Duchess Kate and more celebs look now that they've lost their pregnancy weight.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTBeach Cruising
From Videos of Wonderwall
From Crowd Ignite