Vanessa Paradis: 'I don't have the recipe for happiness'
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage1 of 17
- Photo: Ryan/WENN2 of 17
- Photo: Promotional/USMagazine3 of 17
- Photo: Jeff Vespa/WireImage4 of 17
- Photo: Jonathan Short/Invision/AP5 of 17
- Photo: Ivan Sekretarev/Invision/AP6 of 17
- Photo: Jonathan Short/Invision/AP7 of 17
- Photo: Ivan Sekretarev/Invision/AP8 of 17
- Photo: RHA/ZOB/WENN9 of 17
- Photo: Eric Charbonneau/WireImage10 of 17
- Photo: Can Nguyen/Capital Pictures/Retna Ltd.11 of 17
- Photo: Warner Bros. Peter Mountain/.12 of 17
- Photo: Peter Mountain/Disney/Promotional13 of 17
- Photo: Louie Angelo/WENN14 of 17
- Photo: Kiera Fyles/StarTraks15 of 17
- Photo: Lester Cohen/WireImage16 of 17
More Celeb News
- Leno, Murdoch among TV Hall of Fame inducteesMSNEntertainment 3/12/2014 1:17:18 AM
- $600K taken from safe at Osteen's megachurchMSNEntertainment 3/12/2014 1:01:13 AM
- Actor Chris Pine charged in New Zealand with DUIMSNEntertainment 3/11/2014 11:56:21 PM
- Cameraman recounts Crocodile Hunter's last momentsMSNEntertainment 3/11/2014 9:42:26 PM
- 'Need for Speed' Review: Aaron Paul Can't Get This Vehicle Off the LotMSNEntertainment 3/11/2014 9:30:00 PM
- Leno, Murdoch among TV Hall of Fame inductees
By Jon Warech
While promoting her latest film, "Cornouaille," Vanessa Paradis, the longtime partner of Johnny Depp, opened up to French Elle magazine about her split from the eccentric actor ... but not before saying she wasn't interested in discussing her personal life.
"I don't want to talk about him," she said. "Who said that artists should sell their soul, expose everything about themselves? … It's my duty to promote this movie, and my albums, but can you imagine what it feels like to see people making a business out of your pain. What's happened to us is our concern."
RELATED: Fashion Face-Off: Depp vs. RDJ
But as the interview went on, Paradis, 39, opened up just enough to reveal her thoughts on their 14-year relationship coming to an end.
RELATED: Long-Lasting Couples
"I don't have the recipe for happiness, but I think the engine is simply having the desire," she said. "It's not feeling obliged or forced or repeating yourself."
"I hate, for example, whenever you hear someone say: 'You have work at being a couple,'" she continues. "No, you have to want to be there. And for me, I want to be right where I am right now.'"
Days prior to the split being announced, Paradis hinted at heartache in another interview.
Paradis told Harper's Bazaar magazine, "Love is the strongest and most fragile thing we have in life. Nothing is ever for sure, but when something in love doesn't work from the beginning, it's never going to work. Don't push it."
The former couple have two children, Lily-Rose, 14, and Jack, 10.
From Brad Pitt to Ian Somerhalder, see some of Hollywood's sexiest vampires.Watch Video »
Where are they?
See where the cast of "Cruel Intentions" is today.Watch Video »
Find out what Oscar winners Jared Leto and Lupita Nyong’o have been up to since the Academy Awards on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Check out Sandra Bullock's fabulous and colorful style.Watch Video »
Best Bikini Bods
Kim Kardashian, Bar Refaeli and Heidi Klum share their best bikini pics on social media on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
From Channing Tatum to Jennifer Lawrence, see which celebs got their start modeling.Watch Video »
From Crowd Ignite