'What's Eating Gilbert Grape' Star Darlene Cates Loses 250 Pounds
- Photo: Dallas Morning News/.1 of 10
- Photo: Moviestore Collection/Rex USA2 of 10
- Photo: BEImages/Rex USA3 of 10
- Photo: BEImages/Rex USA4 of 10
- Photo: Moviestore Collection/Rex USA5 of 10
- Photo: Moviestore Collection/Rex USA6 of 10
- Photo: BEImages/Rex USA7 of 10
- Photo: Paramount Pictures8 of 10
- Photo: Paramount Pictures/Promotional9 of 10
More Celeb News
- Meg Ryan Joins the Cast of How I Met Your DadMSNEntertainment 4/23/2014 4:47:00 PM
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus Gets It On with a Clown—On Camera—for GQMSNEntertainment 4/23/2014 3:40:00 PM
- Exclusive: Royal Pains Adds Alpha House Alum for Mysterious Recurring RoleMSNEntertainment 4/23/2014 2:31:00 PM
- Apple Revenue Climbs to $45.6 Billion Thanks to Strong iPhone SalesMSNEntertainment 4/23/2014 1:49:00 PM
- WWE's Stone Cold Steve Austin Slams 'Motherfkers' Who Don't AgreMSNEntertainment 4/23/2014 1:03:00 PM
- Meg Ryan Joins the Cast of How I Met Your Dad
But Cates says she isn't finished with her weight loss journey and wants to lose 100 pounds more so she can get back on screen.
Since the release of the cult film in 1993, Cates has only been in a handful of television roles and has battled depression, but she told Dallas Morning News that she is ready to get her career back on track.
"I can do moms real well. I don't have to delve very deep to find Mom in there," the mother-of-three said wistfully.
Although her starring role in the heartwarming drama was nearly two decades ago, Cates still treasures a note she received from DiCaprio, who won his first Oscar nomination for his role as Arnie Grape.
"I'm not really the best in expressing my words in writing but you are the most special person I have ever [met]," the then 19-year-old penned. "I'll always remember you as the best acting mamma I ever had. You triumphed in your role."
Cates is mainly housebound and has battled numerous health issues over the years, including an 11-month stay in the hospital last year where she underwent four surgeries.
But she says whether it's a comedy or science fiction film she is offered she just wants to be respected.
"I refuse to be the joke,” she said. “The fat woman joke in any movie and I've turned down roles that wanted me to be."
RELATED ON WONDERWALL & MSN:
Worst Mom Style
Check out Kim Kardashian's worst fashion moments as a mom.Watch Video »
Where Are They?
See what the cast of "Sabrina the Teenage Witch" is up to today.Watch Video »
Jessica Simpson, Kourtney Kardashian, Beyonce, Gisele and Kendra Wilkinson post Easter Sunday pics on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Where are they?
See where the former cast of "The Girls Next Door" is today.Watch Video »
Lindsay Lohan, David Beckham, Justin Bieber and 50 Cent show off their globe-trotting travels on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Lady Gaga, Katy Perry, and Rita Ora all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTLife in Pics
From Crowd Ignite