'What's Eating Gilbert Grape' Star Darlene Cates Loses 250 Pounds
- Photo: Dallas Morning News/.1 of 10
- Photo: Moviestore Collection/Rex USA2 of 10
- Photo: BEImages/Rex USA3 of 10
- Photo: BEImages/Rex USA4 of 10
- Photo: Moviestore Collection/Rex USA5 of 10
- Photo: Moviestore Collection/Rex USA6 of 10
- Photo: BEImages/Rex USA7 of 10
- Photo: Paramount Pictures8 of 10
- Photo: Paramount Pictures/Promotional9 of 10
More Celeb News
- ABC's 'Nashville' Plans 2 Live Performances During Season 3 PremiereMSNEntertainment 8/1/2014 4:40:00 PM
- 'Big Bang Theory' Contract Talks: 5 Past Negotiations to Set Your Mind at EaseMSNEntertainment 8/1/2014 4:32:00 PM
- Christina Aguilera Dresses Up Like Demi Moore for Naked, Pregnant Magazine Cover (Photos)MSNEntertainment 8/1/2014 4:20:00 PM
- Selena Gomez Breaks Her Own Rotten Tomatoes Record With a Zero for 'Behaving Badly&aposMSNEntertainment 8/1/2014 4:09:00 PM
- Grey's Anatomy's Ellen Pompeo Developing Drama for ABC FamilyMSNEntertainment 8/1/2014 3:11:00 PM
- ABC's 'Nashville' Plans 2 Live Performances During Season 3 Premiere
But Cates says she isn't finished with her weight loss journey and wants to lose 100 pounds more so she can get back on screen.
Since the release of the cult film in 1993, Cates has only been in a handful of television roles and has battled depression, but she told Dallas Morning News that she is ready to get her career back on track.
"I can do moms real well. I don't have to delve very deep to find Mom in there," the mother-of-three said wistfully.
Although her starring role in the heartwarming drama was nearly two decades ago, Cates still treasures a note she received from DiCaprio, who won his first Oscar nomination for his role as Arnie Grape.
"I'm not really the best in expressing my words in writing but you are the most special person I have ever [met]," the then 19-year-old penned. "I'll always remember you as the best acting mamma I ever had. You triumphed in your role."
Cates is mainly housebound and has battled numerous health issues over the years, including an 11-month stay in the hospital last year where she underwent four surgeries.
But she says whether it's a comedy or science fiction film she is offered she just wants to be respected.
"I refuse to be the joke,” she said. “The fat woman joke in any movie and I've turned down roles that wanted me to be."
RELATED ON WONDERWALL & MSN:
Bloom vs. Bieber
Get the scoop on Orlando Bloom and Justin Bieber's on-going feud on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Heidi Klum, Jada Pinkett Smith, and Miranda Kerr all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Get the scoop on Naya Rivera's wacky wedding on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Gisele Bundchen swims with horses on today's Celebs Gone Social hosted by Wonderwall Editor Jessica Wedemeyer.Watch Video »
Selena Gomez, Zoe Saldana, and Maggie Gyllenhaal all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
From Kim Kardashian to Paris Hilton, see which stars have the most expensive engagement bling.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTSmooch Central
From Crowd Ignite