'What's Eating Gilbert Grape' Star Darlene Cates Loses 250 Pounds
- Photo: Dallas Morning News/.1 of 10
- Photo: Moviestore Collection/Rex USA2 of 10
- Photo: BEImages/Rex USA3 of 10
- Photo: BEImages/Rex USA4 of 10
- Photo: Moviestore Collection/Rex USA5 of 10
- Photo: Moviestore Collection/Rex USA6 of 10
- Photo: BEImages/Rex USA7 of 10
- Photo: Paramount Pictures8 of 10
- Photo: Paramount Pictures/Promotional9 of 10
More Celeb News
- Tarantino's 'Hateful 8' Teaser Basically Just Lists Names of His CharacteMSNEntertainment 8/22/2014 6:24:00 AM
- Jason Katims Developing Medical Drama for CBSMSNEntertainment 8/22/2014 6:08:00 AM
- Dating Naked Contestant Sues VH1 for Airing Crotch ShotMSNEntertainment 8/22/2014 6:05:00 AM
- 5 Freaky Facts From Fractured Summer Box OfficeMSNEntertainment 8/22/2014 5:00:00 AM
- 'Big Brother' Live Eviction: Julie Chen Takes ALS Ice Bucket Challenge, HouseguestMSNEntertainment 8/22/2014 2:21:00 AM
- Tarantino's 'Hateful 8' Teaser Basically Just Lists Names of His Characte
But Cates says she isn't finished with her weight loss journey and wants to lose 100 pounds more so she can get back on screen.
Since the release of the cult film in 1993, Cates has only been in a handful of television roles and has battled depression, but she told Dallas Morning News that she is ready to get her career back on track.
"I can do moms real well. I don't have to delve very deep to find Mom in there," the mother-of-three said wistfully.
Although her starring role in the heartwarming drama was nearly two decades ago, Cates still treasures a note she received from DiCaprio, who won his first Oscar nomination for his role as Arnie Grape.
"I'm not really the best in expressing my words in writing but you are the most special person I have ever [met]," the then 19-year-old penned. "I'll always remember you as the best acting mamma I ever had. You triumphed in your role."
Cates is mainly housebound and has battled numerous health issues over the years, including an 11-month stay in the hospital last year where she underwent four surgeries.
But she says whether it's a comedy or science fiction film she is offered she just wants to be respected.
"I refuse to be the joke,” she said. “The fat woman joke in any movie and I've turned down roles that wanted me to be."
RELATED ON WONDERWALL & MSN:
Check out the sweet shots Jaime King, Mario Lopez, Snooki and more stars shared of their babies on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Check out the many sexy bikinis Jessica Alba has rocked over the years.Watch Video »
Sofia Vergara poses in a revealing neon bikini while her "Modern Family" castmates hit the beach in Australia on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Check out Jessica Alba's baseball skills on today's Celebs Gone Social, hosted by Wonderwall Editor Jessica Wedemeyer.Watch Video »
Fresh from their split, Hilary Duff vacations with husband Mike Comrie and their son on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Check out some of the most memorable Emmy fashion from over the years.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTBare Beauties
From Crowd Ignite