Will Smith explains his parenting style
- Photo: Evan Agostini/Invision/AP1 of 8
- Photo: Masatoshi Okauchi/Rex USA2 of 8
- Photo: KBA/ZOJ/WENN3 of 8
- Photo: Nikki Nelson/WENN4 of 8
- Photo: Jim Spellman/WireImage5 of 8
- Photo: Marco Piovanotto/StarTraks6 of 8
- Photo: Keypix/Splash News7 of 8
More Celeb News
- Emmys 2014 Behind the Scenes: Zipping Up Glamour Girls With Fashion Captain Tara SwennenMSNEntertainment 8/22/2014 8:29:00 AM
- Fired Black Editor Sues People Magazine for DiscriminationMSNEntertainment 8/22/2014 8:18:00 AM
- Kathy Griffin to Minaj: I want a booty challengeMSNEntertainment 8/22/2014 8:07:09 AM
- 7 celebrity ice bucket challengesMSNEntertainment 8/22/2014 8:02:19 AM
- Teen Weeper 'If I Stay' Earns $1.1 Million at Thursday Night Box OfficeMSNEntertainment 8/22/2014 8:00:00 AM
- Emmys 2014 Behind the Scenes: Zipping Up Glamour Girls With Fashion Captain Tara Swennen
Jaden Smith isn't seeking emancipation from his parents, because Will Smith and Jada Pinkett Smith already treat him as independent. In a new interview with Haute Living, Will explains his and Jada's approach to parenting, and how filming "After Earth" with his son brought them closer together.
"My style of parenting is very similar to that of my parents, minus the concept of ownership. I think that, specifically in African American households, the idea coming out of slavery, there's a concept of your children being property and that was a major part that Jada and I released with our kids," Will, 44, tells the magazine. "We respect our children the way we would respect any other person. Things like cleaning up their room. You would never tell a full-grown adult to clean their room, so we don't tell our kids to clean their rooms." (Will is also father to son Trey, 20, from a previous relationship, and daughter Willow, 12, with wife Jada, 41.)
Instead, the parents frame the chore to their children in a different way. "We tell our kids 'you don't have a room, that's our room and we are letting you borrow it,'" he explains. "So the same way you would say to an adult if you let them use your car, you say, 'Yo man, clean my car! Don't drive around all filthy like that!' And it's perfectly reasonable for you to want an adult to clean your car, so we feel it's perfectly reasonable to ask our kids to clean the rooms that we are letting them use."
As for Will's recent joke that Jaden, 14, was seeking emancipation, the "Men in Black" actor reiterates that it was just a joke. "He is definitely not going anywhere; he is so scared of being out on his own, he says. "Willow is probably going to be emancipated before Jaden!"
In fact, Will and Jaden are closer than ever. They play a father and son fighting for survival in the new sci-fi film, "After Earth," and Will says it was a bonding experience. (The two first played father and son in the 2006 drama "The Pursuit of Happyness," which was Jaden's acting debut.)
"He was seven years old in 'The Pursuit of Happyness,' he is 14 now," Will explains. "There's something really powerful about a 13-year-old going out to learn how to hunt with his father. I consider myself a warrior, and I'm a Samurai teaching my son how to fight, how to love, just really helping him develop in a young man. It was our version of a bromitzvah!"
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
Check out the sweet shots Jaime King, Mario Lopez, Snooki and more stars shared of their babies on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Sofia Vergara poses in a revealing neon bikini while her "Modern Family" castmates hit the beach in Australia on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Check out some of the most memorable Emmy fashion from over the years.Watch Video »
Check out Jessica Alba's baseball skills on today's Celebs Gone Social, hosted by Wonderwall Editor Jessica Wedemeyer.Watch Video »
Fresh from their split, Hilary Duff vacations with husband Mike Comrie and their son on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Check out the many sexy bikinis Jessica Alba has rocked over the years.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTBare Beauties
From Crowd Ignite