Zac Efron addresses his addiction struggle with Bear Grylls, says he needed a 'Social lubricant'
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage1 of 9
- Photo: XPOS/GSI2 of 9
- Photo: Lionel Cironneau/AP3 of 9
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage.com4 of 9
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage5 of 9
- Photo: CIAO/GSI6 of 9
- Photo: Splash News7 of 9
- Photo: Noel Vasquez/Getty Images North America8 of 9
More Celeb News
- British Museum features 'golden age' of Ming ChinaMSNEntertainment 9/16/2014 10:05:52 AM
- Meryl Streep's Sinister Side Comes Out on New 'Into the Woods' Poster (PhMSNEntertainment 9/16/2014 9:58:00 AM
- People's Choice Awards Sets AirdateMSNEntertainment 9/16/2014 9:40:00 AM
- Edward Snowden Documentary 'Citizenfour' Added to NY Film Festival SlateMSNEntertainment 9/16/2014 9:36:00 AM
- Tom Hiddleston to Star in Legendary's 'Skull Island' Film, Jordan Vogt-RoMSNEntertainment 9/16/2014 9:21:00 AM
- British Museum features 'golden age' of Ming China
Zac Efron is running wild -- and opening up about his past struggles with addiction.
"The High School Musical" alum, 26, was the first celebrity to appear on "Running Wild with Bear Grylls," NBC's new reality show where Grylls takes celebrities on two-day excursions to put their survival skills to the test.
In addition to jumping out of a helicopter, being dropped into the Catskill Mountains, and eating a worm, Efron, who has completed two stints in rehab, opened up to the survivalist about achieving fame early on and what ultimately led to his struggles with addiction.
"It was just so quick -- it was shocking," the blue-eyed hunk admitted about hitting fame at such a young age. "The challenging part was never the work, that was never it," Efron began when asked by Grylls what led him to rehab. "It was sort of the in-between work -- the social aspects outside of it; everywhere you go [there are press and people watching] … and it can be confusing … and pretty soon you need a social lubricant," he said.
"Once it became that … it got to the point where I was caring less about the work and waiting more for the weekend where I couldn't wait to go out and let loose and have fun," the "Neighbors" actor went on. "But when Monday and Tuesday were difficult to get through, I thought, 'This is bad.'"
Although Efron is now able to open up about his struggles, he admits it's taken a lot to get to this point. "I just really never again want to take anything from the outside in to feel … comfortable in my present skin, and that takes a lot of work," he said. "It's just meditation and stopping and slowing down your brain."
MORE ON WONDERWALL:
Check out some of Alessandra's hottest vacation photos from the summer.Watch Video »
Jennifer Lopez, Salma Hayek, and Sharon Stone all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Where are they?
See what the cast of "Saved by the Bell" is up to today.Watch Video »
From Carrie Underwood to Duchess Kate; get the pregnancy scoop on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Kim Kardashian cuddles a koala, plus more stars share their photos from adventures abroad on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Lindsay Lohan, Cara Delevingne, and Rita Ora all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTToronto Film Fest
From Crowd Ignite