Zac Efron: I Just Can't See What's So Wrong About Being Gay
- Photo: Arthur Mola/Invision/AP1 of 34
- Photo: David Fisher/Rex/Rex USA2 of 34
- Photo: Arthur Mola/Invision/AP3 of 34
- Photo: Jay Valena/Retna Digital4 of 34
- Photo: Dean/Wonderwall5 of 34
- Photo: ELIOT PRESS/Bauer-Griffin6 of 34
- Photo: CHP/Fame Flynet7 of 34
- Photo: Mike/Fame Flynet8 of 34
- Photo: Lionel Cironneau/Invision/AP9 of 34
- Photo: RSH/ZOJ/WENN10 of 34
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage11 of 34
- Photo: Anthony Harvey/Photoshot/Retna Ltd.12 of 34
- Photo: Dean/NPG13 of 34
- Photo: ELMO PRPH/GSI/.14 of 34
- Photo: FRANZISKA KRUG/StarTraks15 of 34
- Photo: Mark Chilton/Retna Ltd.16 of 34
- Photo: Kiera Fyles/StarTraks17 of 34
- Photo: DDAA/ZOB/WENN18 of 34
- Photo: PacificCoastNews.com19 of 34
- Photo: Eric Charbonneau/WireImage20 of 34
- Photo: Lester Cohen/WireImage21 of 34
- Photo: Lester Cohen/WireImage22 of 34
- Photo: RM7/ZJE/WENN23 of 34
- Photo: SNAPPER/Bauer-Griffin24 of 34
- Photo: PMK/WENN25 of 34
- Photo: Fame Flynet26 of 34
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage27 of 34
- Photo: Marco Provvisionato/StarTraks28 of 34
- Photo: Byron Purvis/Retna Ltd.29 of 34
- Photo: AXELLE WOUSSEN/Bauer-Griffin30 of 34
- Photo: Koi Sojer/PacificCoastNews.com31 of 34
- Photo: BILL DAVILA/StarTraks32 of 34
- Photo: Scott Larson/Splash News33 of 34
More Celeb News
- NBC's Research Prez Reveals New 52-Week Strategy: Original Fall Season Is a 'NielsMSNEntertainment 9/19/2014 12:45:00 PM
- Universal Options 'Let It Snow' Book Featuring Short Story by John GreenMSNEntertainment 9/19/2014 12:28:00 PM
- NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell: 'I Got it Wrong, I'm Sorry'MSNEntertainment 9/19/2014 12:23:00 PM
- Proctor & Gamble Cancels Its Breast Cancer Awareness Month Partnership With NFLMSNEntertainment 9/19/2014 12:12:00 PM
- Sam Elliott, Garret Dillahunt Join FX's 'Justified'MSNEntertainment 9/19/2014 11:30:00 AM
- NBC's Research Prez Reveals New 52-Week Strategy: Original Fall Season Is a 'Niels
Millions of women around the world love Zac Efron -- but they're not the only ones!
Speaking to The Advocate, the "Paperboy" actor acknowledges his gay fan base and voices his support for same-sex marriage. "It's very flattering," Efron says in his first interview with a LGBT publication. "After 'High School Musical' and 'Hairspray,' I've always felt embraced by the gay community, and I feel incredibly grateful and honored."
Efron says he first became aware of his gay audience after starring in Disney Channel's "High School Musical" in 2006. "I think the gay audience related to my character Troy, because it really was a story of embracing who you are, no matter how different you might be, and not being afraid to show it. That's a universal theme for everyone, but it specifically resonated with the gay community, and I felt very proud of that."
Growing up in California, a young Efron found his passion in musical theater. During that time, he also realized "being gay was just another way you can be. I never really had time to think about it or have any preconceived notions. I don't judge anyone and I never have."
"I might've been less aware of it back then," the 24-year-old adds, "but without question I had gay role models."
Though he was in a relationship with "High School Musical" star Vanessa Hudgens, 23, from 2007 to 2010, and briefly romanced Lily Collins, 23, in early 2012, Efron's own sexual orientation has sometimes been questioned. The actor, who is straight, isn't bothered by the rumors. "I don't like to live in fear about things like rumors and backlash to begin with -- that's the way I was raised -- but I just can't see what's so wrong about being gay," Efron says.
Expressing his support for legalizing same-sex marriage, Efron tells The Advocate, "It's an issue that affects so many people in my life -- a lot of my close friends and some of the most influential people around me. I just want them all to be happy. It would make me so happy to see them able to live their lives and do what they want to do."
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
Get out the vote
Beyonce is Hot
Check out Beyonce's all-time sexiest looks.Watch Video »
Royal Beach Bods
Check out the hottest royals enjoying their beach vacations.Watch Video »
From Rihanna to Lady Gaga, scope out the worst dressed A-listers at Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week, Spring/ Summer 2015!Watch Video »
Jennifer Lopez, Salma Hayek, and Sharon Stone all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Check out some of Alessandra's hottest vacation photos from the summer.Watch Video »
From Carrie Underwood to Duchess Kate; get the pregnancy scoop on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTGorgeous Gwen
From Crowd Ignite