Zach Braff related to Mitt Romney by accused dead witch
- Photo: WENN1 of 16
- Photo: Jim Spellman/WireImage.com2 of 16
- Photo: jessicaalba/Instagram3 of 16
- Photo: @zachbraff/Twitter4 of 16
- Photo: © Photoshot/Retna Ltd.5 of 16
- Photo: Brabus/Pacific Coast News6 of 16
- Photo: Derek Shook/Splash News7 of 16
- Photo: Youtube/zackndonald/.8 of 16
- Photo: Aguilar/J Sharma/PacificCoastNews.com9 of 16
- Photo: Alexandra Wyman/WireImage10 of 16
- Photo: Doug Meszler/Splash News11 of 16
- Photo: Doug Meszler / Splash News/Splash News12 of 16
- Photo: Joseph Marzullo/WENN13 of 16
- Photo: Doug Meszler/Splash News14 of 16
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage.com15 of 16
More Celeb News
- Bleacher Report To Get SiriusXm ChannelMSNEntertainment 8/27/2014 1:00:00 PM
- Jake Gyllenhaal's 'Nightcrawler' to Close Fantastic FestMSNEntertainment 8/27/2014 2:11:00 PM
- Zach Galifianakis Comedy 'Baskets' Gets Series Order From FXMSNEntertainment 8/27/2014 2:01:00 PM
- 'Starred Up' Director David Mackenzie Dishes on Jack O'Connell Prison DraMSNEntertainment 8/27/2014 12:56:00 PM
- TLC Promotes Three Production and Development ExecutivesMSNEntertainment 8/27/2014 12:35:00 PM
- Bleacher Report To Get SiriusXm Channel
Actor Zach Braff has learned he's related to former presidential candidate Mitt Romney -- through a 17th Century accused witch.
The "Garden State" star was alerted to the bizarre find by fans on Twitter, but he admits it took a little while before he accepted that the rumor could very well be true, thanks to his mother Anne Hutchinson Maynard's ancestry.
During an appearance on "Rove L.A." on Saturday, he said, "It's very bizarre because believe it or not, I thought it was another prank on the Internet because I've been killed off on the Internet, I came out of the closet on the Internet, a lot of things have happened to me on the web and I start getting wind that I was related to Mitt Romney through a witch!"
RELATED: Celebrity Cousins
"That sounds like a joke, but this genealogist, who I guess has way too much time on his hands, went and tracked my mother's maiden name and figured out she grew up in Rhode Island and discovered that Mitt Romney and I are related through the very last woman who was killed through the Salem witch trials. And I thought it was like, a tabloid thing, [but] it was a reputable genealogy journal, so yeah, Mitt and I are related through a witch!"
Braff isn't the only celebrity to share a familial link to a Republican politician: Halle Berry was recently revealed to be a distant relative of former vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin, who ran for office in 2008 against Democrat Barack Obama and his running mate Joe Biden.
Researching celebrity family trees has grown in popularity in recent years following the success of TV genealogy shows like "Who Do You Think You Are?," which has allowed stars including actors Martin Sheen, Rita Wilson, Rob Lowe and Harry Potter author J.K. Rowling to explore their roots.
Get the scoop on Bradley Bayou's dress design that Oprah wore to the Emmy Awards.Watch Video »
Beyonce does her best to prove that her family life is just perfect on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
The guys from Rascal Flatts talk with Wonderwall editor Jessica Herndon about life on tour, crazy fan encounters and more.Watch Video »
Jennifer Lopez reunites with Casper Smart, plus more famous friendly exes on Replay, hosted by Wonderwall's Jessica Wedemeyer.Watch Video »
Check out Kaley Cuoco's cutest canine-centric posts on social media on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Golden Globe Style
Cojo predicts the trends for the 2010 Golden Globes.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTAnother Go
From Crowd Ignite