Zach Braff related to Mitt Romney by accused dead witch
- Photo: WENN1 of 16
- Photo: Jim Spellman/WireImage.com2 of 16
- Photo: jessicaalba/Instagram3 of 16
- Photo: @zachbraff/Twitter4 of 16
- Photo: © Photoshot/Retna Ltd.5 of 16
- Photo: Brabus/Pacific Coast News6 of 16
- Photo: Derek Shook/Splash News7 of 16
- Photo: Youtube/zackndonald/.8 of 16
- Photo: Aguilar/J Sharma/PacificCoastNews.com9 of 16
- Photo: Alexandra Wyman/WireImage10 of 16
- Photo: Doug Meszler/Splash News11 of 16
- Photo: Doug Meszler / Splash News/Splash News12 of 16
- Photo: Joseph Marzullo/WENN13 of 16
- Photo: Doug Meszler/Splash News14 of 16
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage.com15 of 16
More Celeb News
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90MSNEntertainment 3/9/2014 1:40:07 PM
- Zac Efron Shops Dildos in 'Neighbors,' Proving Once Again He's Far More TMSNEntertainment 3/9/2014 11:43:00 AM
- '300: Rise of an Empire' Storms Overseas Box Office With $88 MillionMSNEntertainment 3/9/2014 11:41:00 AM
- AP Top Premium Entertainment Headlines At 2:47 p.m. EDTMSNEntertainment 3/9/2014 11:40:29 AM
- Marvel expands Infinite with 'Ultimate Spider-Man'MSNEntertainment 3/9/2014 11:33:56 AM
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90
Actor Zach Braff has learned he's related to former presidential candidate Mitt Romney -- through a 17th Century accused witch.
The "Garden State" star was alerted to the bizarre find by fans on Twitter, but he admits it took a little while before he accepted that the rumor could very well be true, thanks to his mother Anne Hutchinson Maynard's ancestry.
During an appearance on "Rove L.A." on Saturday, he said, "It's very bizarre because believe it or not, I thought it was another prank on the Internet because I've been killed off on the Internet, I came out of the closet on the Internet, a lot of things have happened to me on the web and I start getting wind that I was related to Mitt Romney through a witch!"
RELATED: Celebrity Cousins
"That sounds like a joke, but this genealogist, who I guess has way too much time on his hands, went and tracked my mother's maiden name and figured out she grew up in Rhode Island and discovered that Mitt Romney and I are related through the very last woman who was killed through the Salem witch trials. And I thought it was like, a tabloid thing, [but] it was a reputable genealogy journal, so yeah, Mitt and I are related through a witch!"
Braff isn't the only celebrity to share a familial link to a Republican politician: Halle Berry was recently revealed to be a distant relative of former vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin, who ran for office in 2008 against Democrat Barack Obama and his running mate Joe Biden.
Researching celebrity family trees has grown in popularity in recent years following the success of TV genealogy shows like "Who Do You Think You Are?," which has allowed stars including actors Martin Sheen, Rita Wilson, Rob Lowe and Harry Potter author J.K. Rowling to explore their roots.
Where are they?
See where the cast of "Cruel Intentions" is today.Watch Video »
Sarah Michelle Gellar talks to Wonderwall's Chris Gardner about "terrifying" paparazzi, growing veggies with her daughter, why she never went to rehab.Watch Video »
From Mila Kunis to Mary-Kate Olsen, get the scoop on all the engagements in Hollywood on Replay.Watch Video »
The Rock flexes massive muscle while getting sentimental on Celebs Gone Social hosted by Wonderwall editor Chris Gardner.Watch Video »
Rihanna, Katy Perry, and Heidi Klum all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Kendall and Kylie take Wonderwall behind the scenes at a photo shoot and chat family, embarrassing style moments and more!Watch Video »
From Crowd Ignite