Zach Braff related to Mitt Romney by accused dead witch
- Photo: WENN1 of 16
- Photo: Jim Spellman/WireImage.com2 of 16
- Photo: jessicaalba/Instagram3 of 16
- Photo: @zachbraff/Twitter4 of 16
- Photo: © Photoshot/Retna Ltd.5 of 16
- Photo: Brabus/Pacific Coast News6 of 16
- Photo: Derek Shook/Splash News7 of 16
- Photo: Youtube/zackndonald/.8 of 16
- Photo: Aguilar/J Sharma/PacificCoastNews.com9 of 16
- Photo: Alexandra Wyman/WireImage10 of 16
- Photo: Doug Meszler/Splash News11 of 16
- Photo: Doug Meszler / Splash News/Splash News12 of 16
- Photo: Joseph Marzullo/WENN13 of 16
- Photo: Doug Meszler/Splash News14 of 16
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage.com15 of 16
More Celeb News
- Mega Buzz: 24's Reunion, a S.H.I.E.L.D. Return and a New Bones RomanceMSNEntertainment 4/22/2014 4:49:00 PM
- Tumblr Tops Twitter's Social TV Activity, Says New StudyMSNEntertainment 4/22/2014 4:06:00 PM
- Comedy Group Dr. God Sets Up AXS TV Show, Wraps First Feature (Exclusive)MSNEntertainment 4/22/2014 4:02:00 PM
- Aereo at the Supreme Court: 5 TakeawaysMSNEntertainment 4/22/2014 3:13:00 PM
- Mean Girls Star Daniel Franzese Comes OutMSNEntertainment 4/22/2014 3:03:00 PM
- Mega Buzz: 24's Reunion, a S.H.I.E.L.D. Return and a New Bones Romance
Actor Zach Braff has learned he's related to former presidential candidate Mitt Romney -- through a 17th Century accused witch.
The "Garden State" star was alerted to the bizarre find by fans on Twitter, but he admits it took a little while before he accepted that the rumor could very well be true, thanks to his mother Anne Hutchinson Maynard's ancestry.
During an appearance on "Rove L.A." on Saturday, he said, "It's very bizarre because believe it or not, I thought it was another prank on the Internet because I've been killed off on the Internet, I came out of the closet on the Internet, a lot of things have happened to me on the web and I start getting wind that I was related to Mitt Romney through a witch!"
RELATED: Celebrity Cousins
"That sounds like a joke, but this genealogist, who I guess has way too much time on his hands, went and tracked my mother's maiden name and figured out she grew up in Rhode Island and discovered that Mitt Romney and I are related through the very last woman who was killed through the Salem witch trials. And I thought it was like, a tabloid thing, [but] it was a reputable genealogy journal, so yeah, Mitt and I are related through a witch!"
Braff isn't the only celebrity to share a familial link to a Republican politician: Halle Berry was recently revealed to be a distant relative of former vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin, who ran for office in 2008 against Democrat Barack Obama and his running mate Joe Biden.
Researching celebrity family trees has grown in popularity in recent years following the success of TV genealogy shows like "Who Do You Think You Are?," which has allowed stars including actors Martin Sheen, Rita Wilson, Rob Lowe and Harry Potter author J.K. Rowling to explore their roots.
Worst Mom Style
Check out Kim Kardashian's worst fashion moments as a mom.Watch Video »
Jessica Simpson, Kourtney Kardashian, Beyonce, Gisele and Kendra Wilkinson post Easter Sunday pics on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Where Are They?
See what the cast of "Sabrina the Teenage Witch" is up to today.Watch Video »
Watch as Carrie Underwood talks about married life on Ellen.Watch Video »
Victoria Beckham, Rosie Huntington-Whiteley and Melissa Joan Hart toast their birthdays on today's Celebs Gone Social hosted by Wonderwall editor Chris Gardner.Watch Video »
Get the engagement scoop on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTBaby Girl!
From Crowd Ignite