Adam Levine: I'm Not Gay, But My Brother Is
- Photo: John Shearer/WireImage.com1 of 7
- Photo: John Shearer/WireImage.com2 of 7
- Photo: Lester Cohen/WireImage.com3 of 7
- Photo: RWO/WENN4 of 7
- Photo: INB/WENN5 of 7
- Photo: AB1/WENN6 of 7
More Celeb News
- 'Beyond the Lights' Review: Gugu Mbatha-Raw Portrays Divadom With Honesty and CompMSNEntertainment 9/19/2014 4:42:00 PM
- BuzzFeed Taps Andrew Gauthier to Lead Video DivisionMSNEntertainment 9/19/2014 4:25:00 PM
- Roger Goodell Won't Resign From NFL, But Promises Conduct Policy ChangesMSNEntertainment 9/19/2014 3:29:00 PM
- HBO Suspends Pre-Production of Brian De Palma's Penn State Molestation Film 'To DeMSNEntertainment 9/19/2014 2:28:00 PM
- Dancing's Derek Hough: We Have Something "Potentially Dangerous" PlannedMSNEntertainment 9/19/2014 2:28:00 PM
- 'Beyond the Lights' Review: Gugu Mbatha-Raw Portrays Divadom With Honesty and Comp
Adam Levine doesn't mind the gay rumors.
"I'm extremely comfortable in my sexuality, so I can think, 'Oh, that's a good-looking dude," the Maroon 5 singer tells OUT Magazine in its September issue. "Acknowledging that someone's attractive and wanting to [have sex with] a dude are two different things."
"There's no way to hide my straightness," Levine adds, "but if people didn't think there was a small chance I was gay, then I wouldn't be doing my job very well. Look at the best ones, guys whose sexuality was always questioned. Bowie. Jagger. Freddie Mercury. I wouldn't be the frontman of a band if that question hadn't come up at some point."
Needless to say, the 32-year-old "Voice" mentor, who's been linked to Jessica Simpson, Paris Hilton and Kirsten Dunst in the past, grew up in a very tolerant household.
"I can single-handedly dispel any ideas that sexuality is acquired," Levine laughs. "Trust me, you're born with it. My brother is gay, and we knew when he was 2. We all knew."
When his brother came out, the Levines rallied together. "We all really wanted to provide some cushion for him and constantly let him know that it's OK," Levine tells OUT. "A lot of people don't want their kid to be gay and will fight it at all costs. But I've got news for you -- it's a losing f---ing battle. The more you fight it, the more f---ed up your kid's gonna be. You've just got to embrace it from the beginning. That's the only way to deal with it as a family."
Levine, who's currently dating Victoria's Secret model Anne Vyalitsyna, is proud of "The Voice" for featuring performers who are openly gay, two of whom made it to the finale.
"What's always pissed me off about 'American Idol' is wanting to mask that, for that to go unspoken. C'mon. You can't be publicly gay? At this point? On a singing competition? Give me a break," he says. "You can't hide basic components of these people's lives. The fact that 'The Voice' didn't have any qualms about being completely open about it is a great thing."
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
Beyonce is Hot
Check out Beyonce's all-time sexiest looks.Watch Video »
Check out some of Alessandra's hottest vacation photos from the summer.Watch Video »
From Rihanna to Lady Gaga, scope out the worst dressed A-listers at Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week, Spring/ Summer 2015!Watch Video »
Royal Beach Bods
Check out the hottest royals enjoying their beach vacations.Watch Video »
Jennifer Lopez, Salma Hayek, and Sharon Stone all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Even boldfaced names like Pamela Anderson and John Krasinski get star-struck on Celebs Gone Social hosted by Wonderwall editor Chris Gardner.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTGorgeous Gwen
From Crowd Ignite