Adam Levine: I'm Not Gay, But My Brother Is
- Photo: John Shearer/WireImage.com1 of 7
- Photo: John Shearer/WireImage.com2 of 7
- Photo: Lester Cohen/WireImage.com3 of 7
- Photo: RWO/WENN4 of 7
- Photo: INB/WENN5 of 7
- Photo: AB1/WENN6 of 7
More Celeb News
- Box Office: Guardians of the Galaxy Wins Labor Day WeekendMSNEntertainment 8/31/2014 4:35:00 PM
- Nude Photos of Jennifer Lawrence, More Celebs Leaked After Massive Phone HackMSNEntertainment 8/31/2014 4:31:00 PM
- Simon Cowell, Cheryl Cole Returns Deliver 'X Factor UK' Ratings BumpMSNEntertainment 8/31/2014 4:05:00 PM
- Joan Rivers' Daughter Melissa Releases New Statement, Celebs Tweet SupportMSNEntertainment 8/31/2014 3:41:00 PM
- Taylor Swift Joining NBC's 'The Voice' as Guest Mentor (Report)MSNEntertainment 8/31/2014 3:12:00 PM
- Box Office: Guardians of the Galaxy Wins Labor Day Weekend
Adam Levine doesn't mind the gay rumors.
"I'm extremely comfortable in my sexuality, so I can think, 'Oh, that's a good-looking dude," the Maroon 5 singer tells OUT Magazine in its September issue. "Acknowledging that someone's attractive and wanting to [have sex with] a dude are two different things."
"There's no way to hide my straightness," Levine adds, "but if people didn't think there was a small chance I was gay, then I wouldn't be doing my job very well. Look at the best ones, guys whose sexuality was always questioned. Bowie. Jagger. Freddie Mercury. I wouldn't be the frontman of a band if that question hadn't come up at some point."
Needless to say, the 32-year-old "Voice" mentor, who's been linked to Jessica Simpson, Paris Hilton and Kirsten Dunst in the past, grew up in a very tolerant household.
"I can single-handedly dispel any ideas that sexuality is acquired," Levine laughs. "Trust me, you're born with it. My brother is gay, and we knew when he was 2. We all knew."
When his brother came out, the Levines rallied together. "We all really wanted to provide some cushion for him and constantly let him know that it's OK," Levine tells OUT. "A lot of people don't want their kid to be gay and will fight it at all costs. But I've got news for you -- it's a losing f---ing battle. The more you fight it, the more f---ed up your kid's gonna be. You've just got to embrace it from the beginning. That's the only way to deal with it as a family."
Levine, who's currently dating Victoria's Secret model Anne Vyalitsyna, is proud of "The Voice" for featuring performers who are openly gay, two of whom made it to the finale.
"What's always pissed me off about 'American Idol' is wanting to mask that, for that to go unspoken. C'mon. You can't be publicly gay? At this point? On a singing competition? Give me a break," he says. "You can't hide basic components of these people's lives. The fact that 'The Voice' didn't have any qualms about being completely open about it is a great thing."
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
Get the scoop on Bradley Bayou's dress design that Oprah wore to the Emmy Awards.Watch Video »
See where Hollywood's A-listers have spent the summer.Watch Video »
Get the scoop on Ashlee's new fiance on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Get Mariah and Nick's marital woe breakdown on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Check out the stars that spent the most on their weddings.Watch Video »
Check out some of the most memorable Emmy fashion from over the years.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTVenice Film Fest
From Crowd Ignite