Barry Manilow struggling with bronchitis and flu
- Photo: Gary Gershoff/WireImage1 of 9
- Photo: JM11/WENN2 of 9
- Photo: Denise Truscello/.3 of 9
- Photo: Denise Truscello/.4 of 9
- Photo: Denise Truscello/.5 of 9
- Photo: J. Shearer/WireImage6 of 9
- Photo: Chris Pizzello/AP7 of 9
- Photo: Chris Pizzello/AP8 of 9
More Celeb News
- 'Before Midnight' Review: Joy and Pain, Long After Happily Ever AfterMSNEntertainment 5/23/2013 4:32:15 PM
- 'Before Midnight's' Director, Stars Julie Delpy, Ethan Hawke Celebrate &aMSNEntertainment 5/23/2013 4:13:43 PM
- Cannes: IFC Buys North American Rights to 'The Selfish Giant'MSNEntertainment 5/23/2013 4:09:45 PM
- Paddy Considine and Fares Fares Join Tom Hardy Thriller 'Child 44' (Exclusive)MSNEntertainment 5/23/2013 3:55:22 PM
- Steven Soderbergh Is Looking to Direct Clive Owen in Cinemax Series MSNEntertainment 5/23/2013 3:53:15 PM
- 'Before Midnight' Review: Joy and Pain, Long After Happily Ever After
Ailing crooner Barry Manilow has been dealt a double blow as he struggles with bronchitis: He is also battling a bout of influenza.
The "Mandy" hit-maker was forced to scrap a string of his "Manilow on Broadway" shows last week, including the big opening on Thursday, after falling ill with the respiratory disease.
Apologizing to fans for the cancellations in a lengthy post on Facebook, he writes, "This has to be the worst experience of my life!
"The bronchitis that hit me turned into the flu that hit everyone in New York, and all my doctors could do was to give me stuff to make it a little easier to get through. In the end, they all said I'd just have to ride it out until it ran its course. I cannot apologize enough.
"As I was lying in bed, hacking, coughing, with chills and fever, I kept thinking of all the people whose plans had been ruined. I think the Jewish guilt I felt was even worse than the sickness itself! But, when I got enough strength to go online, instead of complaints (which people would be justified in writing), I found nothing but kindness and understanding. Which made me go for the Kleenex again. So, thank you to all for being so understanding about this nightmare."
Manilow reveals he's making promising progress in his recovery and is aiming to resume his Broadway residency at St. James Theatre as early as Tuesday.
He continues, "The GOOD NEWS is that I'm getting better! Everything is easing up and day-by-day I'm coming out of the dark. My voice is returning hour by hour and I'm feeling human again. I'm pretty sure I'll be ready to go on Tuesday night. (Unless I get hit by a truck!)
"So, I will be on that St. James stage on Tuesday night giving it my all and more grateful to all of you than I can ever express. ... All I can do is offer each of you my deepest thanks and hope that I'll see you at the St. James! All my love! Barry."
MORE ON WONDERWALL
Kim Kardashian says her pregnancy lips are out of control, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders.Watch Video »
Check out Hollywood's hottest bikini bods on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
Robert Pattinson has moved out of the house he shared with Kristen Stewart, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders.Watch Video »
Better with age
See which stars just get better with age.Watch Video »
Check out some of Rihanna's worst wardrobe choices on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
Find out who went after Kendall Jenner on social media on today's Celebs Gone Social ...Watch Video »
- Party AnimalsCheck out some of Hollywood's biggest party animals.Watch Video »
- Carrie's ChangesSee how this country cutie has changed her looks over the years.Watch Video »
- Bikini BurnsFrom Kim Kardashian to Jessica Alba, see the worst celeb sunburns.Watch Video »
- Double TroubleFrom the Olsens to the Mowrys, see some of Hollywood's most famous twins.Watch Video »
From Videos of Wonderwall
From MSN Entertainment
From Crowd Ignite