Alanis Morissette: I'll Breastfeed Until My Son Wants to StopRelated: Alanis Morissette
- Photo: Facebook/ Alanis Morissette/.1 of 2
More Celeb News
- CMT Orders More 'Dog and Beth'MSNEntertainment 5/21/2013 12:42:36 PM
- Lawyer: No background check done on Jackson doctorMSNEntertainment 5/21/2013 12:23:05 PM
- Netflix Will Air New Ricky Gervais Series in SeptemberMSNEntertainment 5/21/2013 12:17:58 PM
- Melissa McCarthy Reportedly Boots Extra from 'Tammy' Set for Abusing a ChildMSNEntertainment 5/21/2013 11:59:56 AM
- Steven Spielberg to Produce Live-Action 'Halo' SeriesMSNEntertainment 5/21/2013 11:53:19 AM
- CMT Orders More 'Dog and Beth'
Alanis Morissette says all new parents "oughta know" that attachment parenting is the right way to do things.
In an appearance on "The Billy Bush Show," the "Voice" mentor, 37, shared her thoughts on attachment parenting -- the controversial child-rearing method covered in the most recent issue of TIME magazine.
"I'll breastfeed and I'll be breastfeeding until my son is finished and he weans," Morissette said of 16-month-old Ever (with rapper Mario "Souleye" Treadway).
Added Morissette, "I think it affords the child, when he grows up, to have a lot less therapy to go to. For me, I protect his safety and his well-being and his attachment. That stage of development is a very important stage."
In addition to letting her son choose when he wants to stop breastfeeding, the Grammy winner said she and Treadway also let Ever sleep in their bed. "We're definitely skin-on-skin connected as much as possible," she explained. That is, until her spouse requests a little skin-on-skin action of his own, at which point their baby gets the boot.
"He's a very robust, virile man," Morissette joked. "You gotta take care of your husband!"
TIME's "Are You Mom Enough?" cover--which hit newsstands last week--featured a young mother breastfeeding her three-year-old son, and immediately sparked debate about the merits of attachment parenting, with celebrities like Alyssa Milano and Mayim Bialik speaking out on both sides of the issue.
"Time, no! You missed the mark! You're supposed to be making it easier for breastfeeding moms," Milano, whose son Milo is nine months, tweeted. "Your cover is exploitive & extreme."
Former "Blossom" star Bialik defended the magazine's move--and the mom featured on it.
"I was shocked by how amazing her story was," Bialik, mom to Miles, 6, and Frederick, 3, wrote of 26-year-old Jamie Lynne Grumet. "And she gave an educated and eloquent set of responses. I would not have done a photo shoot myself but I respect her and think she is a smart woman."
This article originally appeared on Usmagazine.com: Alanis Morissette: I'll Breastfeed Until My Son Wants to Stop
MORE ON WONDERWALL:
Check out some of Rihanna's worst wardrobe choices on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
From Kim Kardashian to Jessica Alba, see the worst celeb sunburns.Watch Video »
Tori Spelling turns 40, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
Find out what Jessica Alba and Cash Warren tweeted to each other on their fifth wedding anniversary on today's Celebs Gone Social ...Watch Video »
Victoria's Secret model Adriana Lima talks about the What's Sexy list, her model friends and more with Wonderwall.Watch Video »
Who Am I?
Check out how Vin Diesel, Paul Walker and more stars of "Fast & Furious 6" looked when they were in high school.Watch Video »
- Bikini BurnsFrom Kim Kardashian to Jessica Alba, see the worst celeb sunburns.Watch Video »
- Double TroubleFrom the Olsens to the Mowrys, see some of Hollywood's most famous twins.Watch Video »
- Country CutiesCheck out the hottest couples in country music.Watch Video »
- Crazy QuotesCheck out some of Gwyneth Paltrow's craziest quotes.Watch Video »
From Videos of Wonderwall
From MSN Entertainment
From Crowd Ignite