Alanis Morissette Reveals She Suffered Post-Partum Depression
- Photo: Shea Walsh/Invision/AP1 of 10
- Photo: Pablo/Fame Flynet2 of 10
- Photo: Pablo/Fame Flynet3 of 10
- Photo: Splash News4 of 10
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage5 of 10
- Photo: Chris Pizzello/Invision/AP6 of 10
- Photo: Scope Australia/Pacific Coast News7 of 10
- Photo: NAV/Fame Pictures8 of 10
- Photo: Louisa Butler/Invision/AP9 of 10
More Celeb News
- Shaquille O'Neal, Rapper Waka Flocka Flame Sued for Making Fun of Disabled Man on Social MeMSNEntertainment 7/31/2014 12:17:00 PM
- 'Sharknado 2: The Second One' Premiere More Than Doubles Original's RatinMSNEntertainment 7/31/2014 11:59:00 AM
- Peter Capaldi's 'Doctor Who' Season Debut Gets Theatrical RunMSNEntertainment 7/31/2014 11:54:00 AM
- Exclusive: Mad Men's Rich Sommer Returning to ElementaryMSNEntertainment 7/31/2014 11:54:00 AM
- VIDEO: Kathy Bates on Her Personal Ties to American Horror Story: Freak ShowMSNEntertainment 7/31/2014 11:51:00 AM
- Shaquille O'Neal, Rapper Waka Flocka Flame Sued for Making Fun of Disabled Man on Social Me
Alanis Morissette says she was so severely affected by post-partum depression following the 2010 birth of her first child, son Ever, that she experienced a lot of physical pain and struggled to complete even basic tasks.
RELATED: Alanis Morissette: A Child Star
Morissette tells British magazine You, "I had a natural birth at home in my bedroom. It was very long -- over 25 hours -- and harrowing. Not unusually for me, I was silent, so it felt like this long drug trip of a prayer that was physically excruciating. My husband saved the day. When I asked him, he would squeeze my head. At other times he would just be there, and that was all I needed."
RELATED: Music's Oddest Couples
She continued, "The degree and intensity of my post-natal depression shocked me. I am predisposed to depression, but what surprised me this time was the physical pain. I hadn't realized the depths to which you can ache -- limbs, back, torso, head, everything hurt -- and it went on for 15 months. I felt as if I was covered in tar and everything took 50 times more effort than normal. I wished I could have cried, but there was no relief during that time; my version of depression is almost below crying, where there is just despondency. ... I had various therapies, and now I feel all light and springy. Thankfully, it didn't interfere with the bond with my son, although I think that has strengthened since I got better in April."
RELATED: Alanis Morissette in the Rain
Britney Spears, Beyonce and more stars share their summer love on social media on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Joe Manganiello parties with new love Sofia Vergara and her family in Miami on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Where Are They?
It's been 20 years since "Jurassic Park" came out. See what the cast of the movie is up to these days.Watch Video »
Selena Gomez, Zoe Saldana, and Maggie Gyllenhaal all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Check out Jessica Alba, Reese Witherspoon, and more stars who recycle their wardrobes.Watch Video »
Where'd He Go?
Find out what happened to the stars of 'Garden State' after they made the hit indie film.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTHello Hotness!
From Crowd Ignite