Alanis Morissette Reveals She Suffered Post-Partum Depression
- Photo: Shea Walsh/Invision/AP1 of 10
- Photo: Pablo/Fame Flynet2 of 10
- Photo: Pablo/Fame Flynet3 of 10
- Photo: Splash News4 of 10
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage5 of 10
- Photo: Chris Pizzello/Invision/AP6 of 10
- Photo: Scope Australia/Pacific Coast News7 of 10
- Photo: NAV/Fame Pictures8 of 10
- Photo: Louisa Butler/Invision/AP9 of 10
More Celeb News
- NASCAR Star Tony Stewart's Case in Death of Fellow Driver Heads to Grand JuryMSNEntertainment 9/16/2014 2:00:00 PM
- Top 20 TV Ratings: NFL Dominates, 'Biggest Loser' and 'Hell's KiMSNEntertainment 9/16/2014 1:40:00 PM
- 'Royal Pains' Star Mark Feuerstein Joining 'Nurse Jackie's&aMSNEntertainment 9/16/2014 1:02:00 PM
- CNN's Nischelle Turner Joining 'Entertainment Tonight' as Correspondent (MSNEntertainment 9/16/2014 12:40:00 PM
- 'Ellen' Show's Return Banks Highest-Rated Week in Show HistoryMSNEntertainment 9/16/2014 12:29:00 PM
- NASCAR Star Tony Stewart's Case in Death of Fellow Driver Heads to Grand Jury
Alanis Morissette says she was so severely affected by post-partum depression following the 2010 birth of her first child, son Ever, that she experienced a lot of physical pain and struggled to complete even basic tasks.
RELATED: Alanis Morissette: A Child Star
Morissette tells British magazine You, "I had a natural birth at home in my bedroom. It was very long -- over 25 hours -- and harrowing. Not unusually for me, I was silent, so it felt like this long drug trip of a prayer that was physically excruciating. My husband saved the day. When I asked him, he would squeeze my head. At other times he would just be there, and that was all I needed."
RELATED: Music's Oddest Couples
She continued, "The degree and intensity of my post-natal depression shocked me. I am predisposed to depression, but what surprised me this time was the physical pain. I hadn't realized the depths to which you can ache -- limbs, back, torso, head, everything hurt -- and it went on for 15 months. I felt as if I was covered in tar and everything took 50 times more effort than normal. I wished I could have cried, but there was no relief during that time; my version of depression is almost below crying, where there is just despondency. ... I had various therapies, and now I feel all light and springy. Thankfully, it didn't interfere with the bond with my son, although I think that has strengthened since I got better in April."
RELATED: Alanis Morissette in the Rain
Get out the vote
Jennifer Lopez, Salma Hayek, and Sharon Stone all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Check out some of Alessandra's hottest vacation photos from the summer.Watch Video »
Kim Kardashian cuddles a koala, plus more stars share their photos from adventures abroad on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
From Carrie Underwood to Duchess Kate; get the pregnancy scoop on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Lindsay Lohan, Cara Delevingne, and Rita Ora all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Where are they?
See what the cast of "Saved by the Bell" is up to today.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTHighs and Lows
From Crowd Ignite