Alanis Morissette Reveals She Suffered Post-Partum Depression
- Photo: Shea Walsh/Invision/AP1 of 10
- Photo: Pablo/Fame Flynet2 of 10
- Photo: Pablo/Fame Flynet3 of 10
- Photo: Splash News4 of 10
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage5 of 10
- Photo: Chris Pizzello/Invision/AP6 of 10
- Photo: Scope Australia/Pacific Coast News7 of 10
- Photo: NAV/Fame Pictures8 of 10
- Photo: Louisa Butler/Invision/AP9 of 10
More Celeb News
- The Biz: George Stephanopoulos Signs New Deal with Good Morning AmericaMSNEntertainment 4/24/2014 9:31:00 AM
- Kerry Washington, Miley Cyrus, Benedict Cumberbatch Among Time's 100 Most Influential PeoplMSNEntertainment 4/24/2014 8:05:00 AM
- Kevin Clash, Voice of Elmo, Cleared of Sex Abuse ChargesMSNEntertainment 4/24/2014 6:57:00 AM
- Review: 'Hearthstone' card game is the real dealMSNEntertainment 4/24/2014 5:46:01 AM
- Thursday Review: Bad Teacher, Black Box, Hulu's Moone BoyMSNEntertainment 4/24/2014 4:00:00 AM
- The Biz: George Stephanopoulos Signs New Deal with Good Morning America
Alanis Morissette says she was so severely affected by post-partum depression following the 2010 birth of her first child, son Ever, that she experienced a lot of physical pain and struggled to complete even basic tasks.
RELATED: Alanis Morissette: A Child Star
Morissette tells British magazine You, "I had a natural birth at home in my bedroom. It was very long -- over 25 hours -- and harrowing. Not unusually for me, I was silent, so it felt like this long drug trip of a prayer that was physically excruciating. My husband saved the day. When I asked him, he would squeeze my head. At other times he would just be there, and that was all I needed."
RELATED: Music's Oddest Couples
She continued, "The degree and intensity of my post-natal depression shocked me. I am predisposed to depression, but what surprised me this time was the physical pain. I hadn't realized the depths to which you can ache -- limbs, back, torso, head, everything hurt -- and it went on for 15 months. I felt as if I was covered in tar and everything took 50 times more effort than normal. I wished I could have cried, but there was no relief during that time; my version of depression is almost below crying, where there is just despondency. ... I had various therapies, and now I feel all light and springy. Thankfully, it didn't interfere with the bond with my son, although I think that has strengthened since I got better in April."
RELATED: Alanis Morissette in the Rain
Worst Mom Style
Check out Kim Kardashian's worst fashion moments as a mom.Watch Video »
Lindsay Lohan, David Beckham, Justin Bieber and 50 Cent show off their globe-trotting travels on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Jessica Simpson, Kourtney Kardashian, Beyonce, Gisele and Kendra Wilkinson post Easter Sunday pics on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Where Are They?
See what the cast of "Sabrina the Teenage Witch" is up to today.Watch Video »
Get the scoop on Julianne's hunky Canadian hockey beau on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
From Lena Dunham to Kristen Stewart, see the most awkward red carpet posers.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTStar Weight Loss
From Crowd Ignite