Alanis Morissette Reveals She Suffered Post-Partum Depression
- Photo: Shea Walsh/Invision/AP1 of 10
- Photo: Pablo/Fame Flynet2 of 10
- Photo: Pablo/Fame Flynet3 of 10
- Photo: Splash News4 of 10
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage5 of 10
- Photo: Chris Pizzello/Invision/AP6 of 10
- Photo: Scope Australia/Pacific Coast News7 of 10
- Photo: NAV/Fame Pictures8 of 10
- Photo: Louisa Butler/Invision/AP9 of 10
More Celeb News
- 'The View' Taps Lauren Sanchez to Guest-HostMSNEntertainment 7/28/2014 4:00:00 PM
- Brett Ratner to Produce Donna Tartt's 'The Goldfinch' for Warner Bros.MSNEntertainment 7/28/2014 3:39:00 PM
- Sherri Shepherd Joins Ice Cube, Kevin Hart in 'Ride Along 2' for First Post-&aMSNEntertainment 7/28/2014 3:04:00 PM
- Comic-Con 'Zombie Walk' Accident: Fate of Next Year's Event Is UncertainMSNEntertainment 7/28/2014 3:04:00 PM
- 'Sons of Anarchy' Creator Kurt Sutter Signs New Overall Deal With 20th TVMSNEntertainment 7/28/2014 3:00:00 PM
- 'The View' Taps Lauren Sanchez to Guest-Host
Alanis Morissette says she was so severely affected by post-partum depression following the 2010 birth of her first child, son Ever, that she experienced a lot of physical pain and struggled to complete even basic tasks.
RELATED: Alanis Morissette: A Child Star
Morissette tells British magazine You, "I had a natural birth at home in my bedroom. It was very long -- over 25 hours -- and harrowing. Not unusually for me, I was silent, so it felt like this long drug trip of a prayer that was physically excruciating. My husband saved the day. When I asked him, he would squeeze my head. At other times he would just be there, and that was all I needed."
RELATED: Music's Oddest Couples
She continued, "The degree and intensity of my post-natal depression shocked me. I am predisposed to depression, but what surprised me this time was the physical pain. I hadn't realized the depths to which you can ache -- limbs, back, torso, head, everything hurt -- and it went on for 15 months. I felt as if I was covered in tar and everything took 50 times more effort than normal. I wished I could have cried, but there was no relief during that time; my version of depression is almost below crying, where there is just despondency. ... I had various therapies, and now I feel all light and springy. Thankfully, it didn't interfere with the bond with my son, although I think that has strengthened since I got better in April."
RELATED: Alanis Morissette in the Rain
Joe Manganiello parties with new love Sofia Vergara and her family in Miami on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Cameron Diaz, Rumer Willis, and Ellie Goulding all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Chrissy Teigen, Katy Perry and Lady Gaga spotlight their pooches on today's Celeb Gone Social.Watch Video »
See some of the cutest moments from Prince George's first year.Watch Video »
Let's check out some of Eva's tactics behind her baby bump secret on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Best B-Day Ever?
Selena Gomez celebrates her birthday early with a helicopter ride in Italy with new pal Cara Delevingne on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTTerrible Trends
From Crowd Ignite