Amy Grant's Father Diagnosed With Dementia
- Photo: Dimitrios Kambouris/WireImage1 of 6
- Photo: Evan Agostini/Invision/AP2 of 6
- Photo: Alex Brandon/Invision/AP3 of 6
- Photo: Matt Sayles/Invision/AP4 of 6
- Photo: RICHARD DREW/Invision/AP5 of 6
More Celeb News
- What 'True Detective' Creator Learned From Co-Writing That Despised 'KillMSNEntertainment 3/7/2014 8:16:00 AM
- '300: Rise of an Empire' Slices Up $3.3 Million Thursday OpeningMSNEntertainment 3/7/2014 8:10:00 AM
- Philip Seymour Hoffman's 'God's Pocket' Gets Release DateMSNEntertainment 3/6/2014 11:49:00 PM
- Newsweek's Alleged Bitcoin Creator Denies Story, Flees In LA Car ChaseMSNEntertainment 3/6/2014 10:39:00 PM
- 'All the Way' Theater Review: Bryan Cranston Brings His Wildly Funny LBJ to BroadwMSNEntertainment 3/6/2014 8:00:00 PM
- What 'True Detective' Creator Learned From Co-Writing That Despised 'Kill
Singer Amy Grant's father has been diagnosed with dementia.
RELATED: Celebs Gone Country
Dr. Burton Grant, 80, began showing signs of a faltering memory in late 2008, and the Grammy winner and her sisters finally forced him to seek help from doctors who determined he was dealing with a loss of overall brain function.
She tells People magazine, "Watching his brilliant mind go away was tough."
RELATED: Country Crooners: Who Said It?
The news prompted the singer to retire her dad's medical license and hire around-the-clock caregivers, and the 51-year-old admits the disease has presented a new set of challenges for her family.
Grant says, "He might not know my name, but I sense familiarity. ... It's a new reality. He doesn't make sense, but it's the comfort of hearing him talk and talking back to him. I wouldn't have guessed this is the way my dad's life played out. But I wouldn't change it. The unexpected and hard aspects of life draw us together."
Where are they?
See where the cast of "Cruel Intentions" is today.Watch Video »
Take a look back at Prince William and Duchess Kate's cutest couple moments.Watch Video »
Nicole Richie debuts a lavender hair color on Instagram on Celebs Gone Social. What does Kelly Osbourne have to do with it?Watch Video »
Ladies Who Cook
Find out where Drew Barrymore and Reese Witherspoon are and what they're doing on their latest "girl's trip" on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Star Inspired Ink
From Ryan Cabrera to Megan Fox, see celebs who've gotten tattoos of other stars.Watch Video »
Check out the many ways that Britney Spears is looking better than ever.Watch Video »
From Crowd Ignite