Another delay in Justin Bieber's Florida DUI case
- Photo: George Pimentel/WireImage1 of 8
- Photo: @justinbieber/Instagram2 of 8
- Photo: SGP/Fame Flynet3 of 8
- Photo: Instagram4 of 8
- Photo: AP5 of 8
- Photo: David Rowland/Rex/Rex USA6 of 8
- Photo: @justinbieber/Instagram7 of 8
More Celeb News
- Chris Brown ready to stop getting in his own wayMSNEntertainment 9/22/2014 9:11:30 AM
- Ratings: 'Madam Secretary' Debuts to OK Demo Marks, Strong Total ViewersMSNEntertainment 9/22/2014 9:00:00 AM
- Robin Williams 'Tried to Say Goodbye' During Our Last Phone Call, Says Billy ConnoMSNEntertainment 9/22/2014 8:43:00 AM
- Giuliani to help fight Noriega's video game suitMSNEntertainment 9/22/2014 8:40:52 AM
- 'Forever' Review: There's Nothing Eternal About This ABC DudMSNEntertainment 9/22/2014 7:58:00 AM
- Chris Brown ready to stop getting in his own way
MIAMI (AP) — Justin Bieber's lawyers and Florida prosecutors said Wednesday they need more time to work out a possible plea deal on charges that the pop star drove under the influence and resisted arrest.
Assistant State Attorney David Gilbert and Bieber attorney Mark Shapiro asked for an additional three weeks. Miami-Dade County Judge William Altfield reset the matter for Aug. 5.
Gilbert said at a brief hearing the two sides would inform Altfield on that date how the plea negotiations are progressing "and set a trial date, if necessary." He gave no other details, and Shapiro also would not get into specifics. Bieber did not attend the hearing.
"It's pretty much status quo," Shapiro said.
Bieber was arrested early Jan. 23 in Miami Beach after what police described as an illegal street race between Bieber's rented Lamborghini and a Ferrari driven by a friend, R&B singer Khalil Amir Sharieff. Neither was charged with drag racing.
Alcohol breath tests found Bieber's level below Florida's 0.02 limit for underage drivers but urine tests showed the presence of marijuana and the anti-anxiety drug Xanax in his system. Bieber was also charged with resisting arrest and driving on an expired license. Sharieff is also charged with DUI.
Earlier this month, Bieber resolved another criminal case by pleading no contest to a misdemeanor vandalism charge for throwing eggs at a neighbor's house in Los Angeles. In that case, Bieber agreed to pay more than $80,000 in damages and meet a number of other conditions.
Bieber is also charged in Toronto with assaulting a limo driver in late December. His lawyers have said he is not guilty in that case.
Back in Miami, Bieber is being sued by a photographer who says he was roughed up while snapping pictures of the singer outside a recording studio.
The Canadian-born Bieber shot to stardom at age 15, after initially gaining notice through YouTube videos. He was nominated for two Grammy Awards for his 2010 full-length album debut "My World 2.0," but his popularity has begun to wane.
Take a peek at Jessica Simpson’s kissy Instagram feed on today's Celebs Gone Social hosted by Wonderwall editor Chris Gardner.Watch Video »
Get the scoop on the RHONJ stars' recent whereabouts on Replay.Watch Video »
Take a look back at Prince William and Duchess Kate's cutest couple moments.Watch Video »
From Carrie Underwood to Duchess Kate; get the pregnancy scoop on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Jennifer Lopez, Salma Hayek, and Sharon Stone all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Julianne Hough, Victoria Beckham, and Nicole Scherzinger all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
From Crowd Ignite